Pipe Candy Melts

Decorating By diamonddust Updated 21 May 2010 , 6:21pm by diamonddust

diamonddust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonddust Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 9

How do I bring candy melts to the right consistency so that I can pipe them and the candy will still cure hard enough to break loose from a mold?

8 replies
babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 9

I would like to know also....anyone??

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #3 of 9

In my experience, patience. I just waited until it cooled enough that it held it's shape when piped. You have to move quick though because there is a fine line between being too warm and runny to too cool and un-pipable (is that a word?) =)

~Christina

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #4 of 9

Can you be more specific? What are you trying to pipe in the mold? What shape mold? How thick, etc.

diamonddust Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #5 of 9

Oh Boy.......How do I keep this one short. LOL Ok I am doing something out of the ballpark on this one. I am am taking a piece of Mylar and piping a Thin design on it. Then before it completely sets up, I am taking it and sitting it down in an unconventional mold such as a drawer organizer lets say about 2" x 7 " x about 2 1/2" deep. Then when the chocolate is completely set up, I pour fudge into it. The fudge is the wrapped in fairly thin layer of a chocolate design. After it sets up, it can be cut into slices. I can do marble effects and designs that do not need precision control, but I would like to do stripes. When I do stripe, the chocolate will not hold it's shape. It wants to flaten out. I was just wondering if I could add something to the chocolate to make it react more like frosting in nature so that I could control it better. I have done some real nice fudge logs this way, but as I said I just kind of let the chocolate do its own thing. The reason I am using the Mylar is for the shine effect. It shines like a mirror and the effect is something that I particularly like.
I am new at this communication and so please forgive me if I am stubbling around here.

diamonddust Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina222

In my experience, patience. I just waited until it cooled enough that it held it's shape when piped. You have to move quick though because there is a fine line between being too warm and runny to too cool and un-pipable (is that a word?) =)

~Christina

Thank you so very much for your input. I will give it a try. The word Un-pipable works for me. LOL

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #7 of 9

That sounds very creative and beautiful. I use candy clay almost exclusively so that is all I can imagine using....I'm thinking you could make up a batch, and extrude it into very thin strands, lay those strands in the mold and pour the fudge over them. You wouldn't get the shine like with the mylar but if you chill the strands before placing them in the mold you could get them fairly straight.

I have no clue if this would actually work of course, but if you get desperate you could try. icon_biggrin.gif

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:30am
post #8 of 9

After you pipe your design on why don't you let it dry, then peel it off and turn it over. That way you will have the round edge you are looking for before you poor the final mixture onto it. Could work.

diamonddust Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 9

[quote="kimblyd"]That sounds very creative and beautiful. I use candy clay almost exclusively so that is all I can imagine using....I'm thinking you could make up a batch, and extrude it into very thin strands, lay those strands in the mold and pour the fudge over them. You wouldn't get the shine like with the mylar but if you chill the strands before placing them in the mold you could get them fairly straight.

I have no clue if this would actually work of course, but if you get desperate you could try. icon_biggrin.gif[/quot

Good Morning,
Thank you so much for your response. I do pipe them first, but the problem is that I cannot get them to pipe real straight because of the flow of the chocolate. I can't get the consistency to regulate properly. The chocolate needs to be thicker and that is where I run into trouble. It never seems to want to get to the exact right stage for me. I have the patients, but the chocolate hates me I tell you. It hates me. LOL
I am still trying to catch on how this communication works here and as soon as I can, I will upload some photos so that it shows what I am doing and maybe then it will be more clear about my next step. icon_surprised.gif)
Dee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%