My First Competition: Confused About Categories!

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 19 May 2010 , 5:59pm by brincess_b

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 6

So I would like to enter my first competition this July. I got the information about it yesterday. I'm a little confused as to what some of the cake categories mean. Here is the info I have:

Division B-Beginner (basic decorating skills, decorating less than 2 years)
NOVELTY- Carved or unusual design (????????)
ANY OCCASION (????????)

Division C-Intermediate (2 courses or is self taught, 2-4 years decorating)
Novelty
Any Occasion
Tiered

I would be entering as a beginner since I've only been decorating for 7 months. I asked the person in charge if as a beginner if I could make a tiered design, and she said to make whatever cake I would like, but I may be bumped up a division. So I'm not sure what to put on my registration form...what is considered a novelty cake, and any occasion cake????

5 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 6

Since you've only been decorating for 7 months, I would choose the beginner category, because it fits. If you get bumped up, you get bumped up and I would consider that a huge compliment on your skills.

joyfullysweet Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, anyone else?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

really, i would get the definition of novelty from the organisers. they may be nice and move your cake from one category to the other, but probably they could just disqualify you, and cake judges can be harsh!

i would see novelty as anything carved, or anything in the vein of debbie brown/ carole deacon.

any occasion means just that, birthday, wedding, christening, graduation, whatever. but, not in a novelty format!
xx

joyfullysweet Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 6

So, I'm thinking I want to something along the lines of a suitcase with a bag on top...novelty?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 6

i would say more novelty than not! i do love suitcase cases too icon_smile.gif
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%