Stripes In Buttercream????

Decorating By Alery Updated 19 May 2010 , 12:09pm by debster

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 6

I need help! I am definately better with fondant at this point than with buttercream, and stripes are getting the best of me. I am making a soccer cake for a friends kid and I was going to put the shirt stripes on the sides of the cake. The stripes would need to be at least 1" each, I'm thinking, alternating between light blue & dark blue vertically. I was thinking of doing the base coat in the light blue then placing the dark blue stripes on top, but how do you make them clean looking & smooth? Please help!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 6

I would use a wide basketweave tip (there is one that is about 1" wide) turned so that the smooth side shows out. Then it's just piping it on.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I would use a wide basketweave tip (there is one that is about 1" wide) turned so that the smooth side shows out. Then it's just piping it on.

I agree. Move your hand quickly so it doesn't ripple. good luck that sounds challenging.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:51am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Here'a piano cake I did and made the black keys from buttercream, using this technique.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1168463

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:51am
post #5 of 6

I will try that, thanks for the help. Those piano keys look perfect, I hope I can get my stripes half that nice.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 6

Yep the good ole basketweave tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%