How Is This Done?

Decorating By revel Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm by pegalter

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 12

I'm thinking of attempting to do this cake. But how do you think this is done? Is it chocolate? Or fondant? I think it could be fondant but how did they get the chocolate swirls in it?
Thanks for the help!
LL

11 replies
Lori00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori00 Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 12

I don't think it's fondant. I think it is modeling chocolate and so are the roses. Just my opinion. : )

Lori

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 12

looks like a chocolate transfer... and yeah the roses look like chocolate also...

hth

cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #4 of 12

It's tempered chocolate which is hard enough to work in when it's dark chocolate but white chocolate is a pain in the neck. You need to get acetate sheets and temper the dark chocolate first and do streaks then temper your white chocolate and spread it about a quarter of an inch thick over the acetate. Cut the strips for the panels before the chocolate completely sets.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks cakesbyleila
do you think candy melts would work? Instead of the chocolate? And where would i buy acetate sheets?

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 12

I agree with cakesbyleila. It's either tempered chocolate or coating chocolate. I personally can't stand those candy melts as they melt down so thick. It's difficult to get a professional look. We did the sides to a cake like this in culinary school but we used parchment paper. You cut the paper into rectangles as high as the cake (exactly) and then however thick you want. This cake looks like 2-3". Pipe the dark chocolate swirls on and let set then spread the white chocolate on and allow to set. You want tyou have a parchment paper underneath to catch all the overflow and once you've piped or spread the chocolate on move it immediately to a clean parchment paper or else all that overflow will be attached to your pretty little strip. Acetate is much better to use than parchment paper as parchment paper dulls the look of the chocolate and acetate keeps it shiny. Acetate is also sturdier and easier to handle. The flowers are definitely modelling chocolate. I know a girl who made a whole bouquet of roses for a chocolate salon. It's pretty easy to do, just the same a gumpaste roses. I think I've seen acetate at Michaels.

lizabu Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:45am
post #7 of 12

I just remembered an easier option...chocolate transfer sheets. You just have to find the right design but it will be so much easier than piping.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #8 of 12

http://www.everyoccasioncakes.com/Wedding%20Cakes/slides/chocolate%20inlay%20cake%20front.html

Carrie taught this class in Virginia this spring (Norm's show), and it's still listed under classes offered on Monday March 22nd. I believe it's chocolate modeling clay ribbons on chocolate fondant, then rolled together flat, and cut into strips to set up/dry and place on the frosted cake. These are cake pics using this technique I found by googling. It's definitely not real melted chocolate, chocolate transfers, or coating chocolate used on this cake. icon_smile.gif

lizabu Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 12

What a clever idea and certainly easier than chocolate on acetate. I've done chocolate on acetate and it's a pain (so messy).

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you for your correct answer; I have done cakes like this before. You can use any manipulative material. I would think this is modeling chocolate, or some combination, since one would typically use the same material for covering and decoration if possible.

To make the two toned strips, roll the dark modeling chocolate thin, onto baking paper. Then, lightly warm and smooth the surface with the palm of your hand - a gentle circular motion works well. This will bring out the oils, which creates shine. Let that cool while you continue

Roll out the lighter modeling chocolate (put on baking paper toward the end) and warm the surface in the same way, bringing out the oils. Now cut the cooled, firm dark chocolate into the shapes you want, lay them over the light modeling chocolate (rewarm that surface with your hand if it has firmed up too much) Top with a second sheet of baking paper and lightly roll the combination to set the pattern.

If you use egg white or water to stick the dark strips onto the white, it will work ok but can be messier and harder to work with. This is the cleanest look.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks so much Pegalter!! Does it work to steam the rolled chocolate clay like fondant to get the strips to stick, or is that just for fondant? Do you roll one massive piece out and attach the strips, so all the strips match up when cut into sections? I've done this process in my mind, but never in real life!

I love your shop!! What great products, and the natural colorings are awesome! I bookmarked your page, and hope to order some things soon icon_smile.gif

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 12

You can use a mist but may get water spots, and the modeling chocolate might get sticky in places. If you want to do that, mist the BACK of the darker piece and cut it upside down, so the misted side end up on the bottom, against the unmisted top of the lighter color.

Anytime you want strips to match up, creating one large piece is good. When I make that cake I also taper (creating a triangular point) the strips at the cake top end so I don't have a bulky center.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%