Instructions On Cars Theme Cake

Decorating By sugarinspired Updated 18 May 2010 , 12:47am by sugarinspired

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 10

Hi. Can anyone help me on how to make a cars cake. I'm sure there's a topic on this but I'm not able to fond one. Thanks

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 10

What design are you after? A slab cake....tiered cake...shaped character cake?

sugarinspired Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry I should been a little more descriptive fromthe movie cars I guess carved with a tier. Thanks

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 10

Well there is no actual topics on how to make one but there are hundreds of pictures in the Galleries to look at.Just type lightning mcqueen in the search box of the gallery section.If you find a design you like PM the member and ask how they did it.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 10

http://how2cakes.com

There is a great tutorial on there for a carved cars cake HTH

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge72

http://how2cakes.com

There is a great tutorial on there for a carved cars cake HTH

Yeap, I plan to use the design from how to cakes. The directions are very clear.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 10

Glad I could help icon_biggrin.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 10

I was just confirming your suggestion. I found the site a while ago. It's great.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 10

I just made a car cake and I can give you a few tips from what I learned along the way. First, I am only a hobby baker, by no means a professional, and this was my first car cake (see pictures in my profile for the car). The car looked much better in person.

1. Find a picture of the car you want so you can create a template to carve the cake with. My template was long so I printed out two half cars on card stock and taped them together.

2. For my car, I used a 10 x 15 cake pan. I cut the cake in half and stacked. I then used the template to carve the shape. Don't forget to cut your openings for the wheels. Looking at front/back views of the car, I carved the hood/trunk area. I also used straws to make sure the cake stayed steady. I don't know if it was necessary but I thought it couldn't hurt.

3. After the cake settled, I crumb coated and covered in buttercream. I put the car on top of a large Crisco can and covered in fondant, making sure to get the fondant under the car wheel openings and chassis. Make your door, hood and trunk marks while the fondant is still soft.

4. Add the windows.

5. Make your tires and rims. I made mine from fondant. I held up different circle cutters to the car to get the right size but none seemed right so I ended up making my own circle template. While still soft, make the tire treads. I used Americolor black with a drop of vodka to paint my tires. The black came out great.

6. Make and add trim/accessories like headlights, bumpers, grill, door handles, etc. Make a list of the accessories you will be adding. If I had made a list I wouldnt have accidently left off the side mirrors. If was funny that no one noticed it but I did later and it bothered me.

7. You will have to make a base to set your car on top of. The reason for this base is so your car will sit up a little higher to make room for the wheels. You dont want this base to be seen so cut it shorter than the length of your car and narrower so it fits in between the wheel openings. You can use Foamcore or as I did, 3 pieces of cardboard taped together. Glue this base to the bottom of your cake base.

8. For accessories that are chrome/silver colored, I found it much easier to paint it once it was on the car. I used silver luster dust with some vodka. Play around with it until you get the consistency that works best for you. It only takes a little bit of vodka. When I found the vodka evaporating in my little paint cup, I just added a little more and continued on painting. If you make a mistake and some of your silver paint strays, a clean brush dipped in vodka magically takes the paint off.

Good luck!!!

sugarinspired Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #10 of 10

wow thanks for all the end put the site is deff gonna help.... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%