Realistic Cutting Board W/ Bowl Of Spaghetti Cake All Bc??

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 17 May 2010 , 6:53pm by sherrywarf

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 3

Is this possible?? I need to make a cake to serve 60 ppl. for Sunday of a bowl of spaghetti, and I just figured instead of doing a HUGE bowl of spaghetti cake (afraid it might be unstable if super large) I thought I'd do a smaller "bowl" on top of a wooden cutting board (sheetcake).......only thing is, they want NO fondant on the cake!

Is it possible to make a super realistic wood grain effect w/ ONLY buttercream??

I've airbrushed wood floors on bc before but it's not THAT realistic and doesn't look anything like a cutting board.

Does anyone have any photos of anything like that?
I can't seem to find any that are not done with fondant!

TIA for any help!

2 replies
cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 3

Can you use modelling chocolate, maybe?

sherrywarf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrywarf Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 3

Instead of the "cutting board", why not make it look like a "place mat". You could cut the sheet cake in maybe a scalloped edge, frost it with a colored icing, smooth it (assuming you use crusting buttercream) and add accents to it by pressing into it (ex. impressions where "holes" would be in scallops, or basketweave over whole cake). You could also pipe a nice border around them, or whatever you can image. Then you could place some "silver wear", napkins and such around the bowl of spaghetti. Would definitely look very cool but this is just one idea of many. Just offering mine. Happy caking! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%