Sheet Cake Sizing

Decorating By aubear Updated 17 May 2010 , 9:40pm by indydebi

aubear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubear Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

I need to know the size pan to use for a full sheet cake, 3/4 sheet cake, 1/2 sheet cake, and 1/4 sheet cake. Also, what would be a good price to charge for each. Thanks.

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 5

This discussion on the Wilton forum may clear things up for you.
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=98183

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 5

The wilton forum is helpful for the sizes of sheet cakes. As for price I believe that it all depends on your location and decorating experience. What I did was checked out the local bakeries in my area to see what they charge and then I assesed my level of experience compared to theirs. Once I figured out what my cost would be for the ingredients and took into account what my market could handle I then had my price. There may be an easier way to figure this out, but that's how I did it. Best of luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

What I did was checked out the local bakeries in my area to see what they charge and then I assesed my level of experience compared to theirs. Once I figured out what my cost would be for the ingredients and took into account what my market could handle I then had my price.

And by "local bakery" do NOT try to compete with wal-mart or your local grocery store. They buy their cakes in bulk and at such a discount most people loose money trying to match their prices.

Prices for ingredients vary so greatly across the US, even across a single state, and even across a county. You'll need to figure up the cost of your ingredients, then estimate your time and figure out what you want to make per hour.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 5

Here is a link to the history of the terms "half" and "quarter": http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6799919.html#6799919

I would suggest stop using those terms to start with. Most cake civilians have no idea how big a 1/2 sheet is .... they just use the terms but have no idea. As illustrated by a guy who asked me for pricing for a full sheet cake. I asked how many people he needed to feed. He said 10. I said then why do you need cake for 100? Cake Civilians just cannot envision a cake pan of 18x26 ..... all they know is their little 9x13.

Just find out how many servings they need and go from there. YOu'll find it much easier.

Plus ..... grocery store bakeries are "downsizing" their cakes and using the 11x15 and calling it a half sheet. This can be a problem because if your TRUE half sheet is $50 and their "half" sheet is $30, you're got a pricing issue. Customers wont' realize the diff and they won't realize they get about 1/3 MORE servings with your cake. They just compare the dollars.

Stop using the terms.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%