Cake For Charity

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 25 May 2010 , 3:52am by rosiecast

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 14

I was hijacking somebody else's thread so decided to start my own!!!!

Anyone here involved for baking for charity at all?

I donate cakes to my church...and then here and there I find a cause within my customer base to donate to. Also I signed up for Wish Upon A Wedding which is free weddings they do for terminally ill patients. I sent in my info but not sure if I'll get to donate or not, its turning very high profile, quite a few "fancy" vendors getting involved in cities across America.

Anyway I've seen various and assorted cake charities here and there and while I do not have time to make cakes for them on a regular basis, I'd love to be included in one or two others, possibly. I've seen several for low income families and while that's a good cause, I'm really interested in making cakes for terminally ill or severely ill children...but I have not seen any foundations that do that.

I wonder if I should call the hospital, or social workers, or...??? and just do that on my own? But then I would not be able to afford to do it for EVERY terminally ill child...so I'm not sure how I would handle that. Any clues?

I'm taking a cake next Monday to one of my customer's children who has had many major surgeries in his short three years of life and will be going through another major heart surgery next weekend. Also I had a good friend lose a daughter to leukemia and I was able to make her first birthday cake (the only birthday cake she ever got....). Its just something I'd love to do, when I can.....

If anyone has any information on that, it would be great!

And then out of curiosity...I've seen those ones where low income families can ask for free cakes...but I've seen to where the people can just write an email and ask for a free cake...I'm usually a tad cynical so I was wondering how they weed out the truly needy from the ones who just try to get free stuff????

13 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:23am
post #2 of 14

that is the most beautiful idea, what a lovely person you are!

here in australia we have charties called the make a wish foundation and the starlight foundation, and there whole aim is to make dreams come true for terminally ill children. do you have something similar in the us? if your not sure, i think ringing the local hospital and asking them if they know of any programs would be the best bet! if they dont know any, maybe you could ask if you can be notified when a terminally ill child is in hospital for their birthday? if you just do small cakes, it shouldnt be to overwhelming?

once again, thats is a beautful idea! id love to be able to do something similar myself once i can fund it... please let me know how you go with it!!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:24am
post #3 of 14

oh, and i wouldnt put the word out for people to apply directly to you, unfortunately there are lots of dodgy people out there trying to take advantage....

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 14

I participate in the Free Cakes for Kids Program. I also do alot of cakes for the Cub Scouts and various community events where fundraising is being done.

So far (after 2 years) I have never been conned.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 14

Hospitals have a social worker or counselor who works with the families of seriously ill or terminally ill children. I think that would be a good person to talk to about your idea...if there's a program they would know about it, and if not, they might be able to get something started in their hospital.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 14

I do a program called "Cakes For Christ" and it's open to ANYONE living in my community (small town of around 15,000 ppl) who has a child that is 18 yrs old or younger and feels they cannot afford to purchase a birthday cake for their child.

There is no income verification required, if people want to take advantage they can...I don't care. My purpose for doing it is not to feed their bellies, it's to save their souls!

When they order a cake, they sign a paper (online inquiries have a "by clicking this submit button, you agree and authorize a representative of Tina's Sugar Shack to provide you with materials containing information on receiving Jesus Christ as your Savior")
and then I give them a free Bible (if they don't own one) and also give them materials on who Jesus is and what sets Christianity (followers of Christ) apart from all the other religions in the world, explaining that all roads do NOT lead to Heaven. I also talk with the family and find out if they have any other needs, ie; clothing for children, food for household, etc. and then I call up various other people I know, including my church family and we try to meet/fulfill the family's needs as best as we can!

Oddly enough, I've had more people start a Cakes For Christ program through their cake business (16 ppl. so far- 14 in the US and 1 in Australia and 1 in Puerto Rico) after having seen my program on my website, and have had about 15 ppl. donate money toward the program, than I have had people signing up to get a free cake from it!

Nobody has "taken advantage" of this program, and even if someone did order a cake that really COULD afford it, but just wanted free cake.......I"m ok with that.....because as far as I'm concerned people who are dishonest need the message I have to offer MORE than those that are just down on their luck and don't have any money!

Either way, it gives me an opportunity to use the talents God has given me for HIS glory...NOT MY OWN and potentially lead people to everlasting life! This program is so much more than just CAKE to me, the cake is just what gets me in the door.

I give them 20 servings of cake in the form of a 1/4 sheet cake or an 8" round based on the design they request. Or whatever I feel like, they're guaranteed at least 20 servings of cake though with each order!

I limit the number of orders I accept based on my ability to fill the orders (both with time and finances), each order costs me around $15, for the literature, the cake, and a Bible, which is a VERY small price to pay to save someone's soul), and the orders are accepted on a first come first serve basis.

I give them a choice of flavor, color, and then they tell me a little about the recipient so that I can taylor a cake to them.

Here is the last cake I did for the program (kinda cool you can do copyrighted stuff too lol, since it's a free cake!)

I intend on touching base w/ my local hospital as well and see about offering free cakes to people who spend their birthday in the hospital (any age) the only thing is that they would have to allow me to present the Gospel as well (DH doesn't think they'll like the idea, but I think it's worth a shot)...because THAT is the reason I'm doing it!
LL

Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 14

I love that!!!! That's great. Going to totally keep that in mind.

I live in a big city area so I do have to keep that in mind....I would never be able to offer anything as freely as you are doing...but its good to keep in mind....

Love it!!!

KHalstead Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 14

you'd be surprised how hesitant people are to ask for a free cake........and others are hesitant because they don't wanna listen to me tell them about Christ LOL

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 14

I would love to start donating cakes to charity or to people who really need and deserve them. I absolutely love the idea of Cakes for Christ!

I think contacting a local hospital, especially a hospital that specializes in Children's services would be the next step. As far as not being able to make cakes for every terminally ill child, that's the hardest part, I'd assume. I have no clue how you'd narrow down the candidates for receiving the cakes. Maybe it'd be best to do it randomly? Wish I had a suggestion.

OR, start your own program or a nonprofit! I love what you're trying to do and hope to get involved with something like this myself! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 14

I emailed a local children's hospital a few days ago and hope to hear back...we'll see.

I think maybe the social workers would know who would have the most need. For instance some kids may be not really terminally ill....some may not be terminally but the parents could be financially in straits and be having a hard time...or some kids may be terminally ill and the parents are in the hospital too often to be able to take time out to order a cake.

Thinking that the social workers would be able to tell me who "needs" a cake most....they are the ones who will know if a child's birthday is coming up, and if the parents plan to celebrate it at home or at the hospital or whatever.

KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 14

what about focusing on terminally ill children who are spending their birthday in the hospital? that would narrow it down a lot wouldn't it? What are the odds that more than a handful of kids each week would be in the hospital w/ a terminal illness on their birthday?

Hopefully there aren't that many.......

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 14

Do you have a Ronald McDonald House in your area? I used to volunteer there and they have plenty of long term children and families there. Different groups come in every week to prepare meals and drop off food so I'm sure you could contact them to find out if any of the children will be having a birthday while there.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 14

A beautiful 8 year old girl from our community lost her battle with cancer almost 3 years ago...her name was Summer. There will be a benefit concert in memory of Summer this summer to raise money for the Childhood Cancer Foundation...Summer's Concert in the Park. They will be selling baked goods, etc. I am going to make cupcakes and cookies for that.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #14 of 14

Anyone interested in this charity: Icingsmiles.org here's some info on the charity:

Icing Smiles is a non-profit organization founded in 2009.

Our mission is to provide custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by critical illness of a child.

It is run by a lady named Tracy and she's a sweetheart and was doing everything out of her own pocket but now got 501 (c) (3) non-profit status (finally!!) and she's also on facebook- icing smiles.

Please contact Tracy to see how you can donate your time/cakes for his wonderful organization.

Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%