Mmf And Warm Weather Help

Decorating By twilight522 Updated 17 May 2010 , 9:47pm by twilight522

twilight522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twilight522 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 4

So, I've just made my first trial batch of MMF. Ill find out tomorrow night if I did it right (he he) Anyways, if the MMF come out good I plan on using it on my niece's first birthday cake on sat and its supposed to be 80 degreess out icon_smile.gif . Seeing how I've never acutally used MMF my question is am I better off covering the cakes the night before or should I just do it a couple hours before the party to make sure it doesnt melt? or does it melt at all? Or does it stay realitivly normal in the heat? I dont think the cake will be sitting in the blaring sun and heat but inside. Still should I be conserned if its humid in the house? Any kind of tips and hints are much aprreciated!!!! thanks in advance!!

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 4

For a Saturday cake I cover on Thursday and decorate on Friday. The fondant will be fine. Worry more about what is under it. Last December was one of the coldest on record for south Texas. I made the DGD a fairy castle with sparkle sugar and dust..it was sooo pretty...I arrived at the party site and the wicked step-daughter had placed it in the weak mid-day sun. The fondant was cool to the touch, but when I cut into it the ganache CC (was rock hard when I covered it) had started melting. What a mess.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 4

Last summer I did some experiments with MMF and the heat. I made a cake in early June, covered it with Indydebi's BC and MMF, and drove it across town with no air conditioning at 4pm. It was fine 30 minutes later when I arrived at my destination. I made one two weeks later and took it on the same trip at basically the same time of day, and it developed an odd bulge on the side that was nearest the car window. We cut into it and the BC had partially melted and slid down to the cake board. I think it was 100 degrees that day, and our hottest part of the day is usually 4-6 pm. The MMF didn't show any signs of melting but the BC was the issue.

Anyhow, it's fine to cover the cake the day before. If it is really humid in the house, run the air conditioner icon_biggrin.gif

twilight522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twilight522 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 4

awesome! thanks so much guys!! ill be weary of the BC its wiltons basic BC recipe... wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%