Look What I Can Do...

Decorating By dalis4joe Updated 16 May 2010 , 9:10pm by lecie

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 27

This was for a guys 50th birthday.... all edible, when they saw the cake... they could not believe it was all edible... even the cake drum... I left the PS to make it look like a shop's dusty floor.... the nails were enjoyed by all... and the guy saved the hammer, saw, screwdriver, pencil and ruler.... they loved it... whatcha think???
LL

26 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 27

uploading photos aren't working, maybe try later, I'd love to see it!

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 27

Awesome job on the cake! I love how you even thought to put the tape measure on the edge of the board. Perfect!

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 27

Very nice

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 27

I had to laugh when I saw it. My husband is in the garage right now working on a dresser he's making. I can hear the sander going. So your cake just fit right in to that vision. Fantastic job!! Love the wood grain and the details are fabulous - especially the nails!!!

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 27

WOW!!!!THIS IS A WORK OF ART.EVERYTHING LOOKS SOOO REAL.ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.WELL DONE.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 27

Wow that is one amazing cake, you are very talented, what did you make the cake drum and nails, out of to make them edible?

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 27

Great job! thumbs_up.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 27

well I found it in your photos- it's awesome! I left a photo comment icon_wink.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 27

I love it!! Great detail on all of the tools, and your wood grain is perfect.

dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 27

Thanks guys....

Uniqueask: cake drum is a foam board covered with marblelized fondant then dusted with PS... to make it look like a dusty garage floor lol... nails... took gumpaste rolled it with a cel pad faom into a thin long strip and cut the nails.... I bent some nails to make it look like he tried to nail the note the first time and the nail bended on him lol...
the tack nails... I took a #10 tip to cut circles... then with white chocolate I glued the circle to the short nails....

icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 27

Thanks for explaining, I figured that was what you did, but I thought by some way you may the board out of cake, I was going to say you got some amazing skills to do that, not that you don't, like I said great cake.

princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 27

that is pretty blooming excellent!! Well done! Sounds like you're well pleased with yourself and good on you!

makyta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makyta Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 27

That is an excellent piece of art!!!!....Congratulations....

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #15 of 27

wow, great job! my husband does carpentry and would love it! the "dust" is a great touch....I'm still trying to get it pit of my house from renovations. icon_cry.gif

dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by megankennedy

wow, great job! my husband does carpentry and would love it! the "dust" is a great touch....I'm still trying to get it pit of my house from renovations. icon_cry.gif

that can be months and you will still find some in a nook here and htere lol... hey what part of Philly?

hluterbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hluterbach Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 27

so how did you get the silver parts to look soooo silver? i have tried coloring fondant grey and then using vodka and luster dust but it never looks like yours. how did you do it??
heidi

dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:07pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hluterbach

so how did you get the silver parts to look soooo silver? i have tried coloring fondant grey and then using vodka and luster dust but it never looks like yours. how did you do it??
heidi

You need to buy Silver Highlighter... then use vodka to just wet your brush (don't mix it... have 2 separate containers) wet the brush and dip it the highlighter pretty heavily.. then brush and see the magic happen!

Here is the link to it...
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16665&name=Silver%20Highlighter%20by%20GSA

hth icon_smile.gif

hluterbach Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #19 of 27

but it says on there the site that the highlighter is NON-EDIBLE. didn't you say everything on your cake was edible? i don't want to use anything that people can't eat. am i missing something?
heidi

dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #20 of 27

it's technically (sp?) non edible... it's like dragees.... have u ever had those? when I was little that was the only decorations on cakes and we all ate them.... it was explained here is detail about the ingredients and how it's fine to eat... I don't know how to explain it lol.. but I do know that it's like dragees.... same ingredients....

hth icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #21 of 27

Great job! Showed my husband and he asked "are you going to make that for me"

dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMN

Great job! Showed my husband and he asked "are you going to make that for me"

hehehehe.... if u wanna make it for him for father's day.... let me know and I give you the scoop!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #23 of 27

Clever idea, and you pulled it off very well! Did you come up with all this yourself, or did you get the idea from somewhere?

dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #24 of 27

I have a book that had a cake with a hammer and a saw... but it was all cartoony looking... so I used that as a refrence, but making everything look realistic... like when I did the hammer... I got a picture of a real hammer and looked at it while I shaped the hammer... same with the other things... I just didn't want it to look cartoony, I like when things look real... like u can't believe that is actually sugar...the cake board... I thought of that while doing my sketch (the book have a beige covered board)....

icon_smile.gif

hluterbach Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #25 of 27

i will likely be making this cake next week for my father's birthday. hoping my version looks half as good as yours.
heidi

dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #26 of 27

Awesome!!! if u need any help.... feel free to PM me... I will be more than happy to help u!!

lecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecie Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #27 of 27

love it, awesome job!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%