Hard Candy Packaging Help!!

Sugar Work By shopdaydream Updated 27 May 2010 , 10:02pm by VeryVera

shopdaydream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shopdaydream Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so I just started making hard candy, tried a couple of batches and they have worked fine, now i wanna now how to package them, im afraid that if I put a buch in a bag they're all gonna clump and stick together, now do i dust them with powder sugar? will that make them cloudy? I really have no idea as to what to do any ideas? icon_cry.gif

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 9

you could always individually wrap them w/ some cello?

I believe you'll want a confectioner's coating to keep the color clear and have them not stick together in a bag if you go that route

shopdaydream Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 9

Im sorry i thought confectioner's coating was like chocolate? Im making the hard clear candy and i feel the cello will just get stuck, you knwo when you have a piece that has the plastic that you can never take off? oh im soo confused...icon_sad.gif

KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 9

no no .........it's a glaze that they use on jelly beans and things like that........here I'll look for some!

Here you go!1

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=617859

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 9

i make hard suckers every week, and to dust them i just take a paunt brush dip it in the icing sugar, and then brush it on the candy icon_smile.gif it does dull it alittle, but the shine comes back

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

no no .........it's a glaze that they use on jelly beans and things like that........here I'll look for some!

Here you go!1

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=617859

I never even knew such a thing existed!!! I'm sure getting an education here on CC! icon_smile.gif

shopdaydream Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 9

KHalsteadyou are a life saver! Ive been going crazy, thank you!

KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 9

http://www.temuss.com/html/food.html

here is some more info on confectioners GLAZE not coating (sorry lol)

VeryVera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeryVera Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 9

Best to dust them in either powdered sugar or corn starch, then roll them around on paper toweling to remove excess. This does dull the color but commercial lemon drops are dull too so doesn't really matter so much to the consumer. This is the traditional way of making "Hard Tac" or hard candy. Gum drops and gummy candies can be rolled in granulated sugar.

If you are making suckers or larger hard candies, wrap them individually in clear plastic treat sacks instead of coating them, and tie off with a twist tie. Make sure your packaging is food safe.

It would be tedious to hand coat each small candy with confectioners glaze and the instructions say, "It is best used for display or preservative purposes only".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%