Indydebi Bc Not Crusting?!? Help!!!

Baking By CaseyNic Updated 14 May 2010 , 8:32pm by CaseyNic

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hey there CC! I've been decorating cakes for about 10 months now and have been using Indydebi's bc for about 6 months and LOVE IT!! I've never had a bit of trouble with it and always get a really nice crust...until last night icon_cry.gif I made two seperate batches because I was working on 2 cakes at once and both of the them REFUSED to crust!! Well, let me take that back. I put one cake in the fridge to "set up" before melviraing and when it came out it was crusted fine but went back to mushy and almost slimy as it sat out to room temp. It's like its sweating or something, but I always put cakes in and out of the fridge and have never had an issue. So here is my question: Could this be a humidity thing? It was a tad humid the last couple days (NOTHING like what we get in July/Aug). If it is the humidity is there something I can do to tweak the recipe to be more humidity durable?? It was a total pain trying to smooth and decorate these two cakes and I can't imagine what it will be like when we get to full blown summer! Please help if you can icon_sad.gif

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 9

Why did you put them in the fridge? I'd leave that step out myself. I live in a very humid area so I avoid putting cakes in the fridge as much as possible.

CaseyNic Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm... I guess I don't really have a reason for it, and I don't put all of them in the refridgerater. That just seemed like a safe place to put it while I worked on the other cake. I live in a teeeny little rental house and it was our night with my step kids last night so I'm always more careful when they're around to keep the cakes somewhere safe... not that they would do anything to them on purpouse but they are 5 and 10 and there is always somebody running through and horsing around and throwing this or that at the other. Anyway (sorry, got off topic) If I have time to refriderate it does usually make them more sturdy and less vulneralbe to finger dents or mess-ups. And I do it all the time without even a drop of moisture and both of these (one refridgerated and one not) were striaght up sweaty icon_cry.gif
I'm just worried because I'm doing a sheet cake for my best friend's lingerie shower tonight and I really want it to be nice for her...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 9

If it is humid there today, I would try to leave it out of the fridge myself.

You could also add in meringue powder, it helps with my icing with our heat and humidity.

CaseyNic Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 9

Ok I'll definitely give that a whirl tonight. Thank you!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Why did you put them in the fridge? I'd leave that step out myself. I live in a very humid area so I avoid putting cakes in the fridge as much as possible.

The fridge was your enemy here. I made the mistake of putting a crumbcoated cake in the fridge once to speed up the process. It did anything but. I NEVER refrigerate my cakes. It needs to be in an airconditioned room and nothing more. Stop putting your cakes in the fridge. Unless you have a perishable filling in them there's no good reason for it.

Since you've put it in the fridge with the crumbcoat you're going to have to wait for the entire cake to come back to room temp. before you're going to be able to get it to crust. And DON'T put your final icing on until it's reached room temp or you're going to have the same problem with that layer of icing as well. I know from experience. I'm actually suprised that you've successfully pulled cakes "in and out of the refrigerator" before and didn't have this problem before now. Just lucky I guess. Anyway, your problem was that you refrigerated them.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 9

I just wanted to add that I live in Arkansas where it's hot and humid about 9 months out of the year. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 9

The only time I had problems with my icing were the two times when I put the cakes in the refrigerator.

Never again.

CaseyNic Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 9

well huh. who knew...?? (obviously all of you icon_biggrin.gif ) No more refridgerating for me!! Thank you so much ladies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%