Help! More Questions - Wondermold/central Dowel

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 14 May 2010 , 3:11pm by DianeLM

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 4

So here goes again (sorry) - I am wanting to make a cinderella cake for my daughter - I have the wondermold cake baked and another 8" round done for underneath it since the wondermold pan didn't fill up all the way....

My plan was that I would torte and fill the wondermold cake which would be on its own cake board..then have 2 -1'" layers underneath for more height which will also be on a cake board - this will be iced as one for the skirt of the dress and then the dress will be sitting on a 12" round dummy cake - my questions are - If I am torting and filling the wondermold pan do I have to have a cake board half way up that as well? And I was going to put a central dowel through the entire thing because it will be so tall but there's a hole straight through the wondermold cake from the heating core and its bigger than a dowel - so how does that work. Is this going to even work at all? Maybe I am overthinking it. Help please

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 4

Relax! It's not that complicated at all. icon_smile.gif You don't need a board where you've torted your Wondermold. Technically, you don't even need a board between the W-mold and the 8-inch, but you should add it for ease of cutting and serving.

If you're concerned about the hole being bigger than the dowel, rather than driving a dowel through the center, drive two shorter dowels in through the skirt. Make the dowels short enough so the tops are below the surface of the cake. I'd draw a diagram, but that would probably confuse you even more. icon_smile.gif

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I realized once I had woken up more - that because its sitting on a dummy cake and the central dowel with also be going through that - that the dowel wont be shifting around in the empty space anyways....so I will still put the dowel through the center of the skirt.

However, because I am now thinking about it - would it have mattered much even if the dowel was moving around a bit in the space? I mean its not a huge amount of space the hole is the same size as a bubble tea straw...

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 4

Wellllll.... there could be an issue with the dowel moving around. Where the W-mold and 8-inch meet could shift. But a good amount of refrigeration and careful driving should prevent that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%