Is Hard Candy Mixture Too Hot To Pour Into A Glass?

Sugar Work By LittleLinda Updated 17 May 2010 , 11:28pm by LittleLinda

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 14

I have a little wine glass that I wanted to fill with purple to look like wine, then suspend a round disc in it as a host. I melted parrafin wax and it won't color with food coloring! so, I was thinking about hard candy; but I think it will crack the glass. Any ideas on what I can use?

13 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 14

I think hard candy would probably break your glass. How about using jello?

I see you are from the north shore area. I plan on moving to that area this summer. How exciting to run into a fellow caker!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 14

Piping gel?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 14

I used piping gel when I made a wine bottle cake and they wanted a wine glass to go with it. I just tinted the piping gel and it worked great. HTH

LittleLinda Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 14

The probelm is that I wanted the host to be stuck into the "wine" 1/4 inch or so. Piping gel or jello won't hold it. I'm now thinking about tinting white candy melts to purple ... that will dry hard ... but it will be cloudy rater than clear.
Tastyart: PM me and tell me where you plan to move in the northshore!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:49am
post #7 of 14

You can add some broken up wax crayons into the parafin wax to dye it.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:02am
post #8 of 14

you definately need candle wax coloring. the wax crayons will work too, the only draw back to them is that you only have one color of crayon that will be the color you want. not a lot of room for error or experimenting so if you go the crayon way..buy two boxes icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 14
lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 14

Couldn't you use candy coloring with the parafin wax? I know that you aren't supposed to use regular food coloring when coloring chocolate and candy melts due to the liquid in the food coloring, but since the candy coloring is oil based, shouldn't that work???

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Crayons will make it cloudy...
If you don't want to make Jello Jigglers (stir 1 pack Knox into the powder and make as usual)... WAIT - gel candles!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001DS0ZI/?tag=cakecentral-20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390194338050&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=974fb38d1280a0aad42308f3fe952d14&itemid=390194338050&ff4=263602_263622

OHHH...gel candle !!! great idea !! a nice keepsake. and if you went the jello way.. make it a jello SHOT !! put that extra vodka to use besides on lusterdust !!! icon_lol.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #12 of 14

I used to make those jello jigglers all of the time; the really are QUITE firm. As long as your "host" is made of something that won't dissolve, like a candy melt (etc.) I would think that would work out fine. My 2¢! thumbs_up.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #13 of 14

yes, you can pour melted sugar into a glass. Just make sure that the glass is not cold. You could run the glass under hot water for a while to make it warm. I pour melted sugar and isomalt into a glass measuring cup all the time. that should give you a really cool look. good luck.

LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 14

I came up with an idea that looks great!

I made the wine in the chalice by melting bc in the microwave, letting it set a couple minutes and poured off the oil that separated and rose to the top. I poured the remaining sludge into the glass and it was pretty stiff. I made a host out of fondant and stuck it into the glass. The cross on the host is a sticker.

Here's the picture of the whole cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1676554&done=1
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%