Help Making A White Batter Chocolate

Baking By Niffer817 Updated 25 May 2010 , 4:07am by mamawrobin

Niffer817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niffer817 Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 11

I have an order for 1/2 chocolate, 1/2 white cake. I just made 'A Better White Scratch Cake' from the recipes section and wasn't thinking about how huge this recipe was. I should have halved it. Now that the batter is already made and 1/2 is in the oven baking, can I add chocolate to the other 1/2 to make my chocolate cake?

10 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 11

id just add in some cocoa powder... what i do to a victoria sponge. usually il take out a bit of flour, sometimes i forget, it always works out... hopefully it would for this recipe too!
xx

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 11

I added 1 cup of melted chocolate chips to a white cake batter last week and it was WONDERFUL. I was just experimenting but I will do this again.

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 11

I had to do this same thing last week with a batch of cupcakes, they needed half white /half chocolate, so I just improvised with my white batter, I added cocoa powder enough to make it look dark enough 1/4cup to half cup, added vanilla flavoring, and about a spoonful of coffee to enchance the chocolate flavor, it turned out wonderful, everyone loved them. Me being my own worst critic thought they were a slight bit dry for me, so I thought if I ever have to do this again I would add a bit more oil or butter to the mixture, nobody else thought they were dry. HTH!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 11

I've added cocoa to white cake batter before and had the same problem with it being dry. That's the reason I tried it with the melted chocolate. Not only was it very good and moist but it had an incrediable texture. I'm adding melted white chocolate to my next white cake because it was that good.

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 11

mamarobin- do you add anything else like vanilla or any flavoring, I think I will try the melted chips method too!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

mamarobin- do you add anything else like vanilla or any flavoring, I think I will try the melted chips method too!

Yes I also add vanilla. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let me know what you think. thumbs_up.gif

Niffer817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niffer817 Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

It didn't work. icon_sad.gif I don't know if it was the original recipe (since it was one I never tried before) or me. I added about 1 c of melted chips. It wasn't very chocolately so I added about an 1/8c of cocoa powder and a dash of coffee. I have an awesome chocolate cake recipe that has coffee in it, so I thought it couldn't hurt. I'm not very good at doctoring cakes, I follow recipes to a T. Anyway, the cake was VERY dense and almost looked like it barely saw the inside of a hot oven. So it's now in the trash and I'm starting over. It's going to be a late night.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:29am
post #9 of 11

So sorry your cake didn't work out. I wouldn't have added the cocoa AND the melted chocolate. Maybe it just didn't work with the receipe that you used. It works great with my receipe and I wish you've had better results.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:09am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've added cocoa to white cake batter before and had the same problem with it being dry. That's the reason I tried it with the melted chocolate. Not only was it very good and moist but it had an incrediable texture. I'm adding melted white chocolate to my next white cake because it was that good.

I made an altered white cake with melted white chocolate this weekend that turned out fabulous. Indeed the melted chocolate gives it a great texture. It was super moist, and hardly no crumbs. I did a crumb coat anyway, but it was not even needed.

I think I'll try the recipe with chocolate cake and melted semisweet chocolate and see how THAT turns out.

In this recipe (which called for a stick of butter) the butter was melted along with the white chocolate, I think that also made quite a difference.

mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:07am
post #11 of 11

I made an altered white cake with melted white chocolate this weekend that turned out fabulous. Indeed the melted chocolate gives it a great texture. It was super moist, and hardly no crumbs. I did a crumb coat anyway, but it was not even needed.

I think I'll try the recipe with chocolate cake and melted semisweet chocolate and see how THAT turns out.

In this recipe (which called for a stick of butter) the butter was melted along with the white chocolate, I think that also made quite a difference.[/quote: jemchina.........

I made kakeladi's WASC and added 1 cup of melted white chocolate. It was so good. I loved the taste and the texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%