Can I Leave A Buttercream Frosted Cake Unrefridgerated?

Decorating By danawitkowski Updated 14 May 2010 , 4:10pm by mamawrobin

danawitkowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danawitkowski Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 7

The cake I made will not fit in my fridge. I'm in the middle of making the frosting, but have not added any milk yet. I'm going to need some time to frost it, so I'm frosting it the night before serving it. In total, it will probably be unrefrigerated about 12 hours, probably even less than that. Is this okay? If not, should I use water instead of milk?

6 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, it can sit out as long as it isn't too hot/humid. No need to change from milk to water.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 7

As long as the filling is shelf stable, you do not need to refrigerate American buttercreams.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

I use milk and I do not refrigerate my cakes. There is a thread titled "icing" that I recommend that you read. Doug explains in great detail why it isn't necessary to refrigerate american buttercreams that are made with milk thumbs_up.gif .

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7

It's fine, something about the sugar mixing with the milk makes it stable.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:17am
post #6 of 7

Yes, it can sit out as long as it isn't too hot/humid. No need to change from milk to water.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

Our climate is hot and humid 9 months out of the year and I never refrigerate my cakes. Of course at my house the air conditioner is always running.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%