Smoothing Icing Emergency!

Decorating By severetts Updated 13 May 2010 , 3:06pm by amysue99

severetts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
severetts Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 6

I was trying to use the paper towel method to smooth my buttercream and its not working. It has crusted, using the viva towel, and for some reason its not smoothing it! I have heard a few people talk of using a hot spoon or something. Could someone explain this technique to me? THANK YOU SO MUCH

5 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know about a hot spoon, but I have used a hot spatula before. If I am using a non crusting buttercream I keep a pan of boiling water near me and a clean dish towel. I put my cake in the fridge for a few minutes to set up, then take it out and smooth the buttercream with the hot spatula. I keep a spatula in the boiling water, take it out wipe it off so it is dry and smooth the buttercream. Works great!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 6

What receipe did you use?

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 6

I first try and smooth out the cake as much as i can, then I keep the cake for atleast 20 minutes in the fridge and try the melveira method. works like a charm (with the paint roller) Adding a bit more of milk helps with smoothing out the icing. I have done it with the hot spatula, sometimes it leaves shadows (marks) I think a warm spatula is better than hot. dont forget to wipe the spatula everytime you take it out of the warm water.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 6

Can you describe what happened or what it looked like when you tried smoothing it?

How long did you want after you iced the cake to smooth it?

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

Had a similar problem last week. If it has already crused over and you're using a white or lightly tinted icing, you can lightly spritz it with hot water. Let sit for a few minutes. Use a very hot spatula to smooth as much as possible. Let re-crust and then try the Viva again. If you're using a dark buttercream, then i would just try the very hot spatula and a lot of patience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%