How To Make A Tassel For Graduation Hat?

Decorating By ktbug Updated 17 May 2010 , 11:31pm by Andrea1Cakes

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 8

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on making a tassel for a graduation hat? Thanks!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 8

I push fondant through a garlic press, wrap a bit of fondant for the cap and shove in a twisted fondant "string."

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 8

You can also use a clay extruder, just make sure that your fondant is soft before putting it through.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 8

I just finished a graduation cake today and used the clay extruder for the tassel. Just got my extruder yesterday and it is fun! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

amarieholley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarieholley Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 8

So not sure which clay extruder you bought but if it's the little silver one that's really hard to use, there is a better one out there. Hobby Lobby sells one in the clay department that is green and made by "Makins" ultimate clay extruder. Not only does it hold a lot more, it is a twist plunger and not a push one so you don't feel like you are breaking your fingers trying to push the fondant through. I love to use mine for rope borders and such.....

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #6 of 8
Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:06am
post #7 of 8

That's the same clay extruder I used also amarieholley. I had read post here on CC saying how much better the twist handle was alot easier to use than the plunger....so I made sure to buy that kind. A little pricey, but you get alot of disc with it and you can use your 40% off coupon. I'd say it's well worth the money.

Andrea1Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea1Cakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 8

I used a manual pasta machine. It came out perfect! You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30 and it could be used for many other purposes such as hula skirts, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%