Will Cookies/cream Filling Hold Up Outdoors?

Baking By typowrite Updated 13 May 2010 , 2:46am by typowrite

typowrite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
typowrite Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 3

I'm making a cake this weekend that will end up being outside a bit (in Georgia). I'd like to use a cookies/cream filling (per suggestions from CC!) but have researched enough to know that the Cool Whip or Cool Whip/pudding combo just doesn't hold up well outside at all. People have had their cakes collapse or fall apart. I'm making a six-layer rainbow cake, so poosible slippage is important.

I was going to try making whipped cream from heavy cream/powdered sugar as the filling, because I've read that's more stable, making sure to use a buttercream edge to hold it all in (and buttercream all over the cake). It's for kids (thus the cookies/cream filling). I really think using buttercream between all the layers would be WAY too sweet (because of the numerous layers), or I'd use that method instead just to make sure the thing didn't topple over.

Anyone tried a cookies/cream filling and had it hold up outside? (It doesn't have to stay outside indefinitely...)

2 replies
krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 3

Do you have access to rich's bettercreme? If so, use that instead of whipped cream. Combine a package of vanilla pudding with 1 cup of milk and add to the bettercreme along with your crushed oreo cookies.

I use this filling all the time. The pudding helps firm up the bettercreme and keep things from sliding around. its a great filling as its not overly sweet.

good luck.

typowrite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
typowrite Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #3 of 3

I have no clue what bettercream is icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%