Help With Serving Guides!

Decorating By NDsoll137 Updated 12 May 2010 , 6:49pm by indydebi

NDsoll137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NDsoll137 Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I've literally had the hardest time ever trying to find a good serving chart to base my cake quotes off of. I've heard from numerous people to use the Wilton serving chart, but I can only find the cutting guide of there's. Does anyone know where I can find this or of any other places that I can find a good serving guide? Thanks so much in advance!

Bobby

6 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7
NDsoll137 Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks a lot for your responses. The Wilton is very detailed and Earlene's one is too, but it's a little intense to read. I also just don't understand how they can be so different. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which one I should use? I'm brand new at the whole selling cakes thing and I don't want to go skimpy on an order, but I also don't want to make something that's way too big either and waste a lot.

Bobby

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 7

I use the wilton wedding chart, because that's what most venues use to cut the cake. So if you're allocationg 1.5x2x4 for a piece of cake and they are cutting the standard 1x2x4 piece of cake, then you're giving cake away. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Here's how to cut the cake to achieve those servings. This method actually gets me about 10% more servings than the chart (i.e. 10" round serves 38; I can get 40-41 pieces): http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

HEre's pics of a standard 1x2x4 piece of cake, so you can see they are not teeny-tiny. A lot of people think "paper thin" when they hear the word "one inch" and as you can see .... it's not: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

When you sell the cake, tell the client "this cake serves 38 when cut properly in the 1x2x4 standard serving size. If you plan to cut them larger, then you should consider buying a larger cake."

NDsoll137 Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 7

Debi, Thanks so much! That really helped. I guess if I just tell them straight away that this is how much you'll get if you cut it this size then there's nothing that they can say after if there is not enough because they were warned. I really like your pictures too. I've only ever suggested the Wilton, circle way, but that gets so messy! This seems so much better and if you're able to get more out of it too, it's a bonus! Thanks again!

Bobby

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 7

bobby, a number of folks across the country have emailed me that they leave a print out of my how-to-cut-a-wedding cake on the cake table when they drop off the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%