Can It Be Done In Buttercream?

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 17 May 2010 , 4:15am by pastryqueen9

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 20

Just wanted to get my fellow ccers opinions. A client wants this cake (pictured below) done for her engagement party next week but she and her fiance DO NOT like fondant. Would this cake be easy to do in buttercream and if it can be done what should I be cautious of? TIA for your assistance. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

19 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #2 of 20

I would say it could be done in bc....I would definitely consider airbrushing it black (just the thought of black icing through and through...ugh)...if you airbrush it black, guests will be able to scrape the color off and enjoy white icing against the cake...not so if it were colored icing...they'd have to trim part of the cake off to be rid of the black...

airbrush the lid as well to be sure the blacks match...

(at least with fondant, those who don't like it, can pull it off...not so easy to do with black icing

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #3 of 20

wilton invented fondant for a reason. Sometimes you just have to do it. it pells off nicely.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:18am
post #4 of 20

It can be done in buttercream, but really, I don't think it will look nearly as nice.

If you want a cake with a true illusion of something real, fondant is the way to go.

Why frustrate yourself trying to make buttercream look like fondant, anyway????

As the previous poster said, they can peel it off!
Remember, except for end pieces, most servings will have a thin 1x2 inch piece of fondant on it! Good grief!

I tell people to eat their cake from the bottom up, scraping the buttercream from under the fondant and to then eat the fondant like a piece of salt water taffy.

JMHO
Rae

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana7832730

wilton invented fondant for a reason. Sometimes you just have to do it. it pells off nicely.

Really? (I guess you were joking, and hopefully not serious... Ha! Good one! I think I get it--another not-so-good product??)

Fondant originated in the 18th century. Wilton has only been around since the late '20s when the home-based Wilton school began in 1929, first book "Wilton Encyclopedia of Modern Cake Decorating" in 1954, first publication of Wilton cake decorating book in 1964, and first Wilton Yearbook in 1970.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 20

I don't know how easy it would be for you to do it in buttercream, but it looks like it is buttercream in the photo to me. If it was done in fondant, the edges would probably be more rounded, and the bands of ribbon around the sides would most likely have been rolled and cut in one length instead of the start and stop points at each corner as if it was piped with a bag of buttercream.

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:38am
post #7 of 20

yes a joke.

pastryqueen9 Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 20

I agree with what you all have said about peeling the fondant off and I've suggested this to them but they are insistent that fondant not touch any of the cakes that I'm doing for them (they must have had some sort of weird experience with fonant). I also agree that the cake will not have as finished and professional a look as if it were done in fondant. I do not own an air brush yet, so I will have to see if they will go with another color. I will also take another shot at convencing them to go with the fonant instead of buttercream. Thank you all so much for your input...I knew I came to the right place for help icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 20

Yikes... I get a lot of people asking for buttercream instead of fondant here... and usually that's fine. But that much black coloured buttercream is going to taste SO bitter and gross. Worse than their opinion of fondant I bet!!

Would they be willing to try a sample of your cake with buttercream and fondant on it?? To know exactly what they're getting?

If not, I might suggest an ivory coloured buttercream with pearl dust all over it. That way it's still pretty, and they get the icing they want.

Good Luck!!!

emkosztka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emkosztka Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 20

why not make them up a small amount of black buttercream to taste so they can understand the bitterness?

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 20

You can, but let them know that the bow will need to be fondant. You can get a good tasting black BC by starting with chocolate BC, but let them know that black BC will turn all their guests mouths black. I use black BC only as accent colors never as the main color.

pastryqueen9 Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 20

I emailed her last night informing her of the pros and cons of all buttercream vs. fondant I just checked my email and she hasn't responded...I'll let y'all know what she says. Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 20

I agree with the poster who said it already looks like its done in buttercream. I think that's what they did in the photo.

The icing shouldn't taste bad if you start with a nice dark chocolate first. My biggest concern isn't with the taste so much as the staining ability esp if kids are eating it.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 20

I think if you try to do this cake in buttercream it is going to end up on cake-wrecks. icon_surprised.gif It looks tricky enough without trying to make buttercream look like fondant. Good luck either way. thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 20

When I have to do a cake in a dark bc, I crumbcoat in white first. Then the black bc won't have to be so thick.

Maybe they'll let you start with chocolate bc, then you won't have to add so much black.

Hey, maybe you can show them a picture of a gray jewelry box and talk them into gray rather than black. Here's one from a quick google:

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/50/49514/crafts-jewelry_box-gray_velvet_pendant.jpg

BellesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellesMom Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 20

You might want to make up some MMF and have them taste that. It tastes MUCH better than regular store bought fondant. They may of had a bad experience with the regular fondant - not knowing there are other options.

pastryqueen9 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 20

Well...she insists on all buttercream which is fine but she also wants the ring to look like her ring (pictured below). Any ideas on how would I go about making the ring? Ithought that I could start with a styrofoam ring covered in gumpaste or fondant but what about the diamonds???? Any and all ideas appreciated! TIA icon_biggrin.gif

BTW this will be the 4th cake that I'm doing for her in the month of June so she is a really good client...a bit picky but good icon_lol.gif
LL

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 20

How about these clear sugar gems? Of course, you'd only need one and you have to buy the entire package, but it's one way to go:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=gems

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #19 of 20

here is a tutorial for a bc gift box.. and I would airbrush it too!

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gift-box-cake-tutorial.html

pastryqueen9 Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #20 of 20

Thank you so much JGMB and SherryCanary62 those are great suggestions!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%