I Cut This With My . . .

Decorating By leah_s Updated 16 May 2010 , 5:14pm by Ednarooni

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

I can't either, but just click the .jpg link and you can see it. icon_smile.gif Great work by the way!

Thanks for the tip!

Great cut work! icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Here's my latest handiwork with paper patterns, a sharp Exacto knife, and a paint brush.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1675336

Do you use the paintbrush to smooth out the sides after you cut the gumpaste?

I've found that if I dip the knife in a little water before I cut, and clean the blade often, that the edges come out pretty smooth. If I want the edges rounded, I use a paintbrush or my finger with some shortening on it to soften the edges.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #33 of 36

haha..I love it leah.. Im so lazy with the cricut I bough it and still never used it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #34 of 36

Patty, judging by your pictures you do a lot of original work so you know that it takes some talent to figure out what medium to use to give a flat image some dimension, e.g., if it should be another layer of gumpaste, royal icing, hand painting, etc. It's not the same as running gumpaste through a cutter and slapping it on a cake.

I agree that the placement, choice of colors, etc., all require a good "eye" even with a Cricut piece. And I certainly don't claim that copying Pokemon exactly is very original (it's what the birthday boy wanted, and characters have to look exact or they're unrecognizable), but I stand by my opinion that cutting and assembling pieces freeform takes more skill and creativity than pushing a button on a machine and getting exactly the same thing as thousands of other people who'v'e bought the same pattern get.

I don't have anything against the Cricut. I just feel like the Cricut cakes I see look a lot alike. They have a mass produced look to me. Even if my pieces aren't as precise as machine cut ones, my customers like the fact that they are hand made. I can't imagine that they'd be as impressed if I told them I had a mchine do them.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I don't have anything against the . I just feel like the cakes I see look a lot alike. They have a mass produced look to me.

This is so true, I can pin point a cricut cake very easily.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #36 of 36

I think "every" cake tool has it's place and can be used either craftily, noncraftily or badly given the "decorator"...of said tool... I've seen some "very" creative work done by the cricut by the two southern ladies, and although I "understand" that while competing on challenges some of the judges feel the machine isn't the same as "hand" done...a bride would have LOVED their cake.. You can be "very" inventive with the machine as I have seen.. I have bought it but haven't used it yet..but I see "possibilities"..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%