post #1 of 8

How do i stop it from cracking?

any advice

Thank You

7 replies
dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:21am
post #2 of 8

sounds like it might be too dry...you can add some crisco to it and work it in...that will help.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 8

I had the same issue and stopped mixing ready made gumpaste and fondant. I bought some gumtex (or tylose) powder and add it to the fondant. I do not have the same cracking or seam issues anymore!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 8

Microwaving is what I do...works really well.

Majie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Majie Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 8

Dont just use it straight from the packet, you have to knead it first to make it pliable, then 9/10 times you'll find that you dont have to put additional ingredients.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 8

That happens when it starts getting dry or old. Sometimes the microwave will fix it, lots of kneading too. But if it's too old it might not recover. I prefer working with smaller pieces of it so the whole gumpaste doesnt dry.

Edna icon_smile.gif

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 8

I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I had a light bulb moment - I live in Central Alberta, where it is quite dry but many of the sites I've visited to learn and practice are in warmer, more humid climates like Florida (Hi Edna!) and California. Add a bit more Crisco and I found using cornstarch rather than PS works wonders too!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyOma

I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I had a light bulb moment - I live in Central Alberta, where it is quite dry but many of the sites I've visited to learn and practice are in warmer, more humid climates like Florida (Hi Edna!) and California. Add a bit more Crisco and I found using cornstarch rather than PS works wonders too!

Hiya!!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%