When Do I Use..

Decorating By KayMc Updated 10 May 2010 , 2:34pm by TexasSugar

KayMc Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone explain to me when I would make flowers out of royal icing and when I would use gum paste to make flowers? I'm reading the Wilton course books, and they tell you to use the RI sometimes and gumpaste sometimes. I don't know when I should use what. I'm a brand new newbie (one cake under my belt). Thanks.

8 replies
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 9

For me it depends on the flower I want to make. If I want to make pansies and mum then I would use RI. For calla lilies, it's gum paste then.

KayMc Posted 9 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

But, I don't understand what is different about each one. Is one better because it dries faster, or is stiffer? Is it just a flavor difference? A texture difference?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 9

Gumpaste is like a dough you roll out, RI is like bc, but firmer.

If you need to make flowers that have thin delicate petals, I would go with gumpaste. If they don't need to be delicate then RI is a good way to go.

Also depends on how you prefer to work. I don't like piping everything, it hurts my hands, so if i can do fondant or gumpaste, I will because it's easier to roll it out than to pipe RI.

KayMc Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 9

I have made flowers with gumpaste, but I don't understand how you make flowers with RI. Is it like the buttercream in that you make flowers out of in the piping bag? If so, what is the advantage of using RI piping for flowers instead of buttercream? Sorry I"m not getting this. icon_cry.gif

MaryAnnPriest Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:21am
post #6 of 9

Royal Icing is piped from the bag. The difference is that the RI dries hard - like candy dots on the paper strip. So it will completely hold its shape.

KayMc Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 9

OK, thanks! That makes sense. And, are there certain flowers that do better with RI than with gumpaste? I'm sorry for so many questions, but I am brand new to all of this! There is so much knowledge here on this message board.

slsharratt Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #8 of 9

If you want to pipe the flower, then its royal icing. If you want to form the flower, then gumpaste/fondant.

TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 9

Gumpaste is going to make more realistic flowers. Royal icing/butter cream are a little thicker, less realistic. But can be nice it all depends on the look you are going for and how much time you want to spend making the flowers.

Gumpaste flowers take alot longer than royaling icing flowers.

I can make several roses out of royal/buttercream in the same amount of time it would take me to make one out of gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%