Picked Up Wrong Cake...ugh

Business By littlecake Updated 11 May 2010 , 8:32pm by cylstrial

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

we are really busy right now as we are into graduation season.

a lady comes in last saturday...points at the full sheet that was ready, and says i've come to pick up my cake...looks at it, says how pretty it is, pays with a check.....she had a really hard time filling out the check...like she put "little cake co" where the date was supposed to be. and had to write another one, i didn't think much about it at the time, i do stupid stuff sometimes too.

about 2 hours later a young woman comes in for this same cake ...i told her her grandma already got it...well this was not her grandma, i told it it had to be a family member as she looked at the cake, (the name on it was not common at all).

well she called everyone...no one picked it up. so i had to scramble to make her another cake.

at the end of the day there was a 1/4 left over...it turned out to be the first ladies cake...nothing like the other cake.

we are really really busy on saturdays, i didn't check the name on the order, since she was so sure that was hers i guess i let it slip.

anyhoo...abot 7 hours later the first womans husband called madder than a wet hen his wife spent so much on a "G*D D@MN cake...and angry it was the wrong one.

i told him to bring it back and i'd give him a refund.....but they were about an hour away.

i was thinking she prolly had a touch of alzhiemers since she had such a hard time filling out the check....but he was in the car, it looks like he would have noticd the cake was 4 times as big as th one they ordered,

anyhoo since it as part my fault for not checking the order, i'm giving him 50% back, in the mail, he seemed happy with that...

moral of the story is...check the order!

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 5

I'm always a little scared that's going to happen to me. At my bakery, we have the orders on a rack by the entrance and so many times someone will walk up and point to one saying "that's mine". I'm always a little concerned that it's just some random person walking by and saying it's their cake.

One time (just because it was a slow day and I felt like it) I did ask for some more specifics like who the cake was for so I could compare it with what was written on the cake.

I've never had someone just take a cake or the wrong cake though. If they were handed the wrong cake they point out the error right away!

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

Since I have so many people that will just walk in and say I'm here for my cake... the next question is always, what name is it under? Sometimes it's quite a cat and mouse game when the person picking up isn't the person who ordered and you go through half a dozen names to find the right ticket! The moral of the story is definately to ask for a name and make sure it matches the order! After this story, I'll bet it'll never happen again!

ninjacaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacaker Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

Yikes-that's pretty scary. Def always check to make sure you have to right customer! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

Hey Littlecake! How ya been?

I'm glad that it turned out ok in the long run. It stinks that that happened though. And really, I would say that something was wrong with that lady - because I have never seen anyone write the name where the date goes! I could see writing it where the written dollar amount goes (because it's under it). But in the date section? Wow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%