Nick Lodges Gumpaste Dry And Crumbly

Baking By cakesrock Updated 9 May 2010 , 11:57pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 5

I have never made gumpaste before and I made a batch of Nick Lodges gumpaste for flowers this morning. I think I did something wrong. It was really dry and crumbly.

I did 1/2 the recipe cause I was short on ingredients. I also used Gumtex because I have no tylose. Would that have caused it? Will adding more shortening fix it?

Anyway, I have no time to buy more ingredients and redo. Can I just use Wilton ready made gumpaste- I happen to have some? Will the flowers turn out okay? I am making roses. I have never made flowers either, but a friend willl be showing me how.
TIA!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

If the eggs you used were on the small side, that could be your problem. Gum Tex is very similar to tylose, but it may be different enough to have made the difference.

Adding crisco will make it worse. You can try adding egg white by the 1/4th teaspoon.

I LOVE the Wilton pre-made gum paste. You can roll it very thin and it dries quickly.

Good luck.
Rae

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 5

When I make Nic Lodge's gumpaste recipe, I use a lot less powdered sugar than he states. Probably closer to 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups. Also, I measure the egg whites (1/2 cup.)

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 5

I've only ever made gum paste once, and it was Nicholas Lodge's recipe. It turned out very well, but I didn't use the entire 1 cup of 10x sugar that I'd set aside. I also used the Tylose. It was easy to use.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all! Next time I will used larger eggs and less PS. For now, I guess I will use the Wilton gumpaste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%