Red Velvet Help!

Decorating By greyhoundlover Updated 9 May 2010 , 2:56am by raquel1

greyhoundlover Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 6

I attempted to make Red Velvet cupcakes, I used Paula Deen's recipe. It had great reviews, so I was super excited. They were awful. They were dry and tasteless. So, I made another batch....and added a bit more oil, hoping they wouldn't be dry. They weren't good either.

Does anyone have a recipe they can reccommend to me...one that you have used before.

Thanks and very disappointed!
Sheri

5 replies
PDXSweetTreats Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:07am
post #2 of 6

Sheri,

I've used "Sarah's Red Velvet Cake TWEAKED" by Cakepro here on CC. Although the recipe was written for a cake, I made cupcakes and they were great! (For the 3 Tbsp. baking cocoa, I used 2 Tbsp. Ghiradelli Premium baking cocoa and 1 Tbsp. Hershey's cocoa natural unsweetened).

I also used "Wedding -- Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting" here on CC by Aztomcat for icing. I changed it slightly -- adding 1 bar of melted Ghiradelli white chocolate to each 2 cups of icing. Wonderful!

HTH! icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 6

I use the recipe on www.pinkcakebox.com - as well as her cream cheese icing recipe! So moist and delicious!

CakeandDazzle Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 6

Everyone ravs about the cake man ravens red velvet but i tried it and didnt really like it... this one is my favorite, including the cream cheese icing!
http://www.joyofbaking.com/RedVelvetCake.html

lngo Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 6

I was in the same predicament as you. I had to make a red velvet cake for a bridal shower, but I didn't have a go-to recipe. I tried several recipes, and here is what won overall in order of most to least favorite:

1) Rose's Red Velvet-good crumb and moist; definite hint of cocoa. The white chocolate frosting is absolutely heavenly!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000407551
2) Sarah's "tweaked" RV-best flavor of them all but it was a bit too dense
3) Red Velvet WASC-just tasted like chocolate cake mix with red coloring. It came out very dark like a burgundy.
4)Cakeman Raven-probably the most authentic southern RV, but the subtle tang didn't appeal to the taste testers, and most of them were alarmed by the bright red color. This requires very little cocoa, so the red came out moreso.
5) Allrecipes RV-I can't remember which one on Allrecipes I tried; it was one of the top rated RV recipes they have, but it was bland and dense.

Good luck!

raquel1 Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 6

Earlier this week I did a search for red velvet cake, I needed one for tonight. After a failed attempt with a recipe (can't think of which one, I read so many...)I came across this blog:
http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ultimate-red-velvet-cake-taste-off-8.html and made the cakeman Raven's recipe, it was great! I doubled the recipe (I needed two 10" heart layers) and made the cake again yesterday and it was beautiful. The customer didn't want the cream cheese icing so I made the cooked flour icing from Red Velvet Cake 1920 (from CC) and it was delicious, very fluffy and not so sweet. That is going to be the recipe I use from now on and I'm soo happy I found it after just one flop. HTH!
By the way, I had 6 people taste the test cake (cakeman raven's) and everyone of them absolutely loved it, very subtle cocoa flavor just kinda of addicting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%