How Do You...

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 11 May 2010 , 3:28am by armywife1

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #1 of 4

determine the serving size for cakes that are stacked 3 cakes high, rather than 2 cakes high. I know Wilton's servings chart is for 4" cakes. Just wondering how many more servings it would be to add another cake ( I guess another 2") to the tier. Sorry if this is a silly question!! I've just seen so many beautiful cakes on here that have 3 cakes per tier and it piqued my curiosity.
TIA!!

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #2 of 4

The closest you could realistically get to the 8 cubic inches of cake in a standard 1x2x4 serving in a 6" tall layer is to cut 1x1.5x6 pieces of cake (which results in 9 cubc inches of cake).

To determine the number of servings, divide the surface area of the cake by the surface area of a piece of cake (for the piece above, the surface area would be 1.5).

The surface area of a round cake is calculated by multiplying the radius (1/2 of the diameter, which is what the size of a round cake is known by) by itself (aka "squaring") then mulitplying that product by pi (3.14).

So, for a 8" round cake, that would be 4 x 4 x 3.14 = 50.24

50.24 divided by 1.5 = 33

So a 6" tall, 8" round cake, cut into 1x1.5x6 pieces would yield approx 33 pieces.

For a square or rectangular cake, just multiply the length of two adjoining sides.

8" square cake:
8 x 8 = 64
64 divided by 1.5 = 42

12x18 rectangular cake:
12 x 18 = 216
216 divided by 1.5 = 144

HTH!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #3 of 4

prterrell dear... whatcha you mulitplying by "pie" for when you're making cake? hehehehehheh... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's too late, i've been up way to long.. forgive the humor. I always cut thinner pieces when I make a three stack cake. so I couldnt tell you, exactly how many pieces (since i rarely do them that thick) but will leave it to PR to do the math for us. icon_lol.gif (if she will...please!!)

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 4

Wow, thanks prterrell! I had to read it over a few times, but now it makes sense to me. icon_lol.gif It is good info. to have. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%