Crumbcoat Covered? Timeline Question?

Decorating By lauras231279 Updated 7 May 2010 , 1:13pm by Mug-a-Bug

lauras231279 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauras231279 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi

I'm midway through a practice for a wedding cake, my first. I just wanted to check a few things.

After crumbcoating the cake (partially really, like Sugarshack does on seams where cake is torted), should I cover the cake whilst it settles?

Also, would it be ok to bake cakes on day 1, torte and fill day 2, ice and decorate day 3, to eat day 4? Or is this stretching it out a little? I'm making the cake for them as a dessert so I know it wont need to be kept for long.

Thanks
Laura

2 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 3

Hi

no... wait for the cake to settle before you crumcoat it... otherwise you are leaving the air trapped....
as far as yout timeline... it's perfectly fine.... that's a pretty common timeline... just make sure if the filling is perishable to fridge after every step....

hth

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 3

If you're not going to crumbcoat the whole thing you need to cover it airtight like sugarshack shows in the video. I'm too lazy for that so I crumbcoat the whole thing. It seals in the moisture just like covering it would.

Your timeline is good, that is the timeline I use for every cake.

Another thing I recommend doing is putting something slightly heavy (most people use a tile) on top of your cake after you crumbcoat; this will help it settle so you don't get any pesky bulges later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%