What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By Kenzy Updated 7 May 2010 , 8:26am by JanH

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 6

Ok so if you look at my photos I seem to be playing a game of hit and miss on my final outcomes in regards to the smoothness of my fondant.

For Example ~ I have noticed lately that I seem to be getting a "filling bulge" that is showing in my final product.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong and how to get a smoother look.

I thank everyone in advance for your help.

5 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:03am
post #2 of 6

I noticed the same with my cakes lately. I finally decided it was changing with the type of filling, amount of filling and the weather. I now put a stiff dam of bc in between each layer with the filling. It's actually so stiff now that I could roll it by hand prob. I always thought I was using a "stiff" dam before this. Now that I have "kicked" it up a notch I haven't had any more problems icon_biggrin.gif

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:07am
post #3 of 6

Gosh I never thought that could be it icon_sad.gif I will have to give it a try, thank you for the input. Oh would you mind sharing your new found recipe.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:10am
post #4 of 6

I suppose it could be the thickness of the fondant - or the variety if you use more than one type. Also the layer of whatever is beneath it. I get the smoothest results if I have ganache underneath - but of course you can't use that every time. There are so many variables that could be the answer. I imagine once you do it long enough you just "know"

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:09am
post #5 of 6

The stiff dam will help... and are you letting your cakes settle after you put the filling in? I still have trouble from time to time, but that does help.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:26am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%