Questions About Stacking And Travel

Decorating By ktbug Updated 7 May 2010 , 12:01am by Kitagrl

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a graduation cake in a couple of weeks. They want a 3 tiered cake (6,8,10 round). They want the cake Saturday. I was wondering can I stack Friday. Should I deliver it stacked. I am going to be honest the thought of driving with a stacked unprotected cake aroung town scares me to death!
OR
Should I devliver the cakes unstacked and stack them myself Saturday Morning? Also I have never done a three teir cake, should I use wooden dowels, or straws?
Thanks!!!

3 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 4

There are several ways to stack cakes, you should read the forum on the SPS system by Leah_s.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

If you are traveling this is a very safe way to do it.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 4

Here are some of the factors I consider when making that decision. Whether or not I deliver stacked depends somewhat on what type of border is around the base of each tier. If it is a simple enough border, it can be done on site, just deliver early enough to complete it. It also depends for me on whether or not I have help. If I do, then I can babysit the cake while someone else drives very slowly, if the cake is already stacked.

Something you may look into also is SPS. I am going to try it for my next stacked cake, it sounds like it makes it pretty sturdy. If you don't know what it is, it is a plate and dowel system that all sortof connects together. There are instructions on how to use SPS as a 'sticky' at the top of one of the forums- either this one or the cake decorating one. I have looked into prices, they appear to be single use items and are not too expensive. But you may need to order soon to get it in time for the cake. Global Sugar Art is a good website to order from.

Either way you choose to go, I would not recommend stacking the cake the day before. I would worry about it too much all night. As for dowels or straws, if you decide against SPS, either one is just fine as long as they are sturdy straws. Just cut them carefully to the same length. Otherwise the cake may be on a slant.

Sorry to be long winded, but I hope it helps!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #4 of 4

Refrigeration works wonders for transporting a cake...

Just stacked a 12"/9"/6" with bubble tea straws and refrigerating it...it will be solid by the time I have to deliver it tomorrow.

Also had one have to take almost a 3 hour trip today...I put two dowels down through that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%