Fondant Over Chocolate Frosting?

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 6 May 2010 , 3:26pm by Mom2ANC

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 7

Can I make a yellow cake with chocolate ganache on it, and then cover it in baby blue fondant? will the chocolate show through the fondant? What is the best ratio of cream to chocolate to use?
Thanks!

6 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #2 of 7

You can absolutely do that. Just make sure not to roll your fondant too thin. When I make ganache I use a 1:1 ratio of heavy cream to chocolate (70% cocoa chocolate). This works fine under fondant, although you will also find a 1:2 ratio often quoted (1 part cream to TWO parts chocolate) for if you want your ganache to really be SUPER firm under that fondant.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:21am
post #3 of 7

exactly what ceshell said! thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:04am
post #4 of 7

I would use Toba garrets chocolate frosting recipe. It is so good and easy to cover with fondant.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:07am
post #5 of 7

Yes you certainly can. I myself use the 2/1 ratio for ganache under fondant. thumbs_up.gif

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 7

how do you know how much ganache you will need? I've only ever used it as a filler, not to completely frost, say, a 2 layer 9" cake.

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the info. i can't wait to try it!

The cake will be taken to the party Sunday evening, but I need to ice and cover the cake Saturday. If I make the ganache Friday night, can I put it on the cake Saturday and it still be oK for Sunday at room temp?
Do I need to tuck the fondant under the bottom of the cake to seal it?
Will the cake be oK outside in warm weather w/ ganache?
Sorry for all the questions. I usually just use white buttercream and do not cover w/ fondant, but the person the cake is for really wanted Chocolate icing, so I thought using ganache and covering with fondant would make it all work.

I have a 10 inch round, two 8 inch rounds, and a 9 inch to do.
slsharratt, I don't know how much you'd need for a 9 inch layer cake. I assume that if you look at the charts for how much icing you'd need, it would be the same amount of ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%