What Vanilla Or Butter Extract Product Do You Use?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 24 May 2010 , 12:11am by newmansmom2004

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 13

I had been using Magic Line clear vanilla for my cakes and icing. My customers seem to like my icing, and I think it's "ok", but I'm sure there is something better out there. I originally chose the magicline brand because it was economical and clear. Sometimes I hate adding tons of white food color to change my icing back to white. But, honestly, I dont have that many people ordering buttercream iced cakes. I mostly do fondant, so it really wouldnt matter anyway. I'd like to try something higher quality. It doesnt have to be clear or fake. I used one brand of madagascar bourbon vanilla (cant remember the brand), but it wasnt very strong and I had to use a lot of it to get any flavor. So I figured might as well try a cheap brand. Maybe it was just the brand I used though. I wish I could remember which kind it was.

I am placing an order at www.fondantsource.com right now so I'd like to get something off their site. If you shop there to get your vanilla, what do you get and how do you think it compares to other vanillas? If you've tried the clear magicline brand, how does it compare to that?

Oh! And while I've got your attention, what about butter extract? I've been using Wilton brand and have been afraid to change. lol. I like it ok though, I guess that is why I never changed. Is there something you like better? Maybe I'm missing out by not trying something else. icon_smile.gif I did, at one point, run out of Wilton butter and had to run to the grocery store to get some butter extract. OMG. my icing tasted like buttered popcorn. It was so nasty. I think maybe that is why I decided I wouldn't stray from the Wilton. lol. I buy out WalMart everytime I go now. icon_smile.gif

12 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 13

I use the Lorann products for all flavors except vanilla. They are super concentrated and it only takes a drop or two for 4 quarts of BC. My fave vanilla is Mexican and is half pure and half vanillin. You can get a big bottle (litre) for about five bucks and the flavor stands up to the heat of the oven without fading.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 13

I make my own vanilla - much better than any I have purchased. Use a fifith of good quality vodka, and I get my vanilla beans online (ebay) I buy the grade B ones...nothing wrong with them. I cut about 30 of them in half and stuff them into the bottle of vodka - let set for about 8 weeks, and you have the best vanilla you will ever find! icon_smile.gif (shake the bottle every couple of days while it is curing)

When you go to use it, if you want a "clearer" vanilla, don't shake the bottle before using it. If you want a darker color and some of the specks of vanilla beans in it, give it a shake before measuring it out.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 13

Loucinda I have always wanted to try and make my own vanilla. I spend a fortune buying vanilla. After reading your post, I think I will try it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 13

I've used Adams and liked it. icon_smile.gif

dar4657 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dar4657 Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 13

I too have been making my own vanilla for years! I can't believe the difference - the only thing I do differently is: I only soak the beans for 4 weeks - and I make a simple syrup and add that to it - 1 cup water/1 cup sugar - i

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 13

I switch between Nielson-Massey and Penzey's Double Strength. I like them both!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 13

I use Da Vinci's French Vanilla coffee syrup! It comes in a wine sized bottle for around $7 and I can buy it at TJ Maxx. I've seen it on Amazon as well.

It's not clear however. The taste is fabulous and it's so economical!

*note* I've only used this in my buttercream. I've not baked with it. I bet it would hold up though since it's made to go in hot coffee!

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I make my own vanilla - much better than any I have purchased. Use a fifith of good quality vodka, and I get my vanilla beans online (ebay) I buy the grade B ones...nothing wrong with them. I cut about 30 of them in half and stuff them into the bottle of vodka - let set for about 8 weeks, and you have the best vanilla you will ever find! icon_smile.gif (shake the bottle every couple of days while it is curing)

When you go to use it, if you want a "clearer" vanilla, don't shake the bottle before using it. If you want a darker color and some of the specks of vanilla beans in it, give it a shake before measuring it out.

Brilliant Loucinda - I had no idea you could create your own this way! Is it more concentrated this way or can you still use the same amont as previously for measurements? Thanks for the great idea!!!

Oh - and does it ever go bad or get rancid when you do it this way? That would sure make a lot of vanilla. Do all 30 fit in the full bottle or do you have to dump any of the vodka out? Thanks!!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 13

Vanilla: Neilson Malley
Butter: actual real butter

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 13

Clear vanilla for my BC - McCormicks
Clear butter - Wilton

For baking, I use Watkins Vanilla.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Vanilla: Neilson Malley
Butter: actual real butter

DITTO!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #13 of 13

I order all my spices, flavorings and extracts from Spicebarn.com. They have the freshest spices. I never knew what REAL cinnamon smelled like until I ordered theirs.

I order the butter flavoring and pure vanilla extract, plus vanilla beans from them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%