Plz Help With Smoothing Butter High Density Foam Dsnt Work

Decorating By ccc1234 Updated 6 May 2010 , 5:34pm by ccc1234

ccc1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc1234 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, please help i have a buttercream wedding cake for this saturday and i cant get the smoothing rite. I tried the high density foam method but it didnt look rite. Is it my buttercream receipe...what am I doing wrong? icon_cry.gif I always use the wilton receipe for my BC. Thank you in advance to everyone

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 10

Let your icing crust, the take a piece of viva paper towel (yes it has to be viva for no design) Lay it over your crusted cake and take your hand or a fondant smoother and rub the cake smooth.

You usually run into one of two things, you let the icing crust too much and it will start to look cracked when you smooth, or you don't let the cake crust enough and you pull the icing off with the towel.

You should be able to touch your icing without it sticking to your finger.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 10

Edna has a video on you tube that might help you

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 10

The Wilton recipe doesn't crust well enough to use the foam roller, at least in my experience. I used to read about it crusting but I never knew what that actually meant until I tried a different recipe. This is the one that I like: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing You can find the Dream Whip powder at the grocery store. It's a little pricey but the taste and how easy to work with the icing is make it worth the cost. It crusts well enough for the foam roller method in about 10 minutes.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 10

Use Indydeb's recipe (the one Texas-Rose is referring to) all the time and it crusts beautifully!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 10

I use a different recipe. I can't find Dream Whip where I live.
I've watched edna's you tube video, it's good.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 10

I use Wilton all the time when I teach their classes and find it crusts very well. Make sure you have the recipe with meringue powder. I also always use the roller. When I do wedding cakes I substitute all butter for the crisco in the same recipe and that works very well too, as long as it's not a really hot day, then I substitute half crisco. If I use all butter I have to put it in the fridge for about 3-4 minutes so it hardens a bit, then I use the roller and it gets as smooth as ever.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 10

Try Indydebi's even I can get smooth buttercream with her receipe thumbs_up.gif .

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 10

I use the less sweet buttercream here on CC.

ccc1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc1234 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks to everyone for sharing. I will try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%