Food Paint Vs. Fondant

Decorating By xoxocake Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:59am by ChoueiriCakeCo

xoxocake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxocake Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #1 of 4

Hey so I'm doing a cake for a friend's surprise party with several giftboxes. One of them is going to be zebra stripes. I was wondering if it was better to use foodpaint (and just paint black on white) or to cut each individual stripe out. I've never worked with food paint, but i have 2 weeks to practice. Any tips, ideas, or advice would be great!
thanks,
AFM birthday.gif

3 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #2 of 4

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with hand-painting. Since you have a few weeks, why not try painting on a small piece of fondant and see how it goes? I personally think it would be easier to paint it. Good luck icon_smile.gif

xoxocake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxocake Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much!! I've never used food paint before, but I've been painting all my life. Do y'all have any tips on whether to make it or buy it, recipes or stores that carry it, tips on brush size etc.??
thanks,
AFM birthday.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 4

All you need to paint is icing coloring (gel or powder), clear extracts (like vanilla or lemon extract), or vodka, and a paintbrush. You take a few drops of extract or vodka and mix it with a few drops of coloring until you get a paint-like consistency. The alcohol in the extracts will evaporate quickly and your painting will be dry to the touch. Since you have experience with painting then you should have no problem with this, it's just like painting on a canvas.

Good luck, and this will open up a whole new way of decorating for you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%