I Want To Learn To Use Sugar Veil.. So Fla..

Decorating By gscout73 Updated 7 May 2010 , 1:06am by weirkd

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #1 of 11

I purchased sugar veil and really want to learn to use it. It just is not cost effective for me to teach myself via trial and error. Is there anyone in the Broward/Palm Beach county area who is willing to share? That stuff is just the coolest thing since MMF and to some, cricut.

Sandy C.

10 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 11

Hi Sandy
Contact SV directly for someone in your area that teaches it . I know some great teachers but they are not in Florida. Also, Michele from SV has put many videos on Youtube. SV is very cool, Michele's latest invention, the SV mat is so easy to use. It is a great starting point and gives great results easily. If you are going to ICES, Michele will be at our booth demoing SV. I am hoping to have Julie Bashore demo at our booth as well. If you have general questions, I can help you. I have been using SV for a few years.

Enchantin-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantin-Cakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah, Julie is good with sugarveil. She was in Nigeria, West Africa, to teach it at our local ICES Expo. Since then, it had me hooked! Loads of amazing stuff you could do with it. Love to use it especially to clothe my sugar models...among other wonderful things.

gscout73 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 11

I've always wanted to go to an ICES, but never really had the time. I'm a single parent and work 2 jobs. I just really, realy want to learn to use it. spider webs and other string work, bows and ribbons. I did see the demo on the SV site and that is when I KNEW I had to add that to my skills.

I heard there is supposed to be a recipe using everyday ingredients to make a VS like substance that is much cheaper. Would that really work or is it better to stick to the real thing? Should I really invest in the mat? How do you know you have the right thickness when you are spreading it out? Is it best to invest in the other procucts to use with the SV?

Sandy

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:07am
post #5 of 11

SV is only $17 for a 1 pound bag which will take you rather far. I cannot speak for an immitation, the 1 pound bag is not too expensive. This is how we make it. We boil the water, we put in the measured SV powder, lightly stir it to make sure there are no clumps. Then we add the boiling water, again lightly stirring it immedatily. We turn the blender on slow for about 10 seconds, making sure the powder is pulled away from the sides and then blend at high speed for three minutes. SV turns from yellowish to very white and reminds me of marshmallow fluff. When I am piping with it, I make it a bit thinner. Then I spread it on my mat.

THe only tools you must have for sv is Sv, a blender (if it is not a kitchen aid, you just need to blend it a bit longer) a spreading tool, a fondant mat, or you can use wax paper, but it really must be Criscoed very well, but very thin!

Want to haves are the SV comb, the new SV Matt (love it), the SV video.

Now Michele ( the inventor) is putting more and more youtube videos up to help to make it easiser. It really is not that hard to do. Give yourself more credit and a $17 investment you can make a lot of mistakes if you need to. But you have us here on cake central to help you through!

As for ICES. Fly out for part of it. Usually San Diego is a cheaper flight then others. Bring one of your kids. We have a booth and I usually bring my 9 year old and her best friend. They absolutely love it. But save up for it. If you cant this year, than next year. I beleive next year it is in Charlotte, you could drive there from FL. Plan now! I truely beleive that single moms with 2 jobs can accomplish anything!

gscout73 Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I will give it a try on Saturday. I wanted to use it to make a crochet-style doily for a cake for Mothers Day. If it works, I'll post the pic in the regular galleries. If it does not, it'll be in the disasters and cakewrecks!! lol

Sandy

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 11

That's the spirit Sandy!

San Diego is waaaay out of my budget too-- but I am eying Charolette next year (maybe as a gift to my daughter for graduating culinary school).

gscout73 Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 11

San Diego is my home town/county. I would love to use this as a reason to go back for a visit. icon_lol.gif But, not in the budget. icon_cry.gif

gscout73 Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 11

Hey, Tandy, we can share the ride and split the gas. You're abt 45 mins to an hour north of me. I'm between Boynton and Delray Beaches.

Sandy

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #10 of 11

Sandy-- that would be great fun!!! Sure, I know where Boynton Beach is-- I was raised in West Palm!

I have a friend that just moved away from San Diego just a few months ago-- I called her --- and nooooo don't go! She lived about 2 blocks from the venue! Tin=ming really is everything!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #11 of 11

From my experience so far with it:
I know that trying to get a true color to it is kinda hard. It seems to turn lighter from the whipping. So I tried airbrushing it afterwards and it worked so much better!
Try to make sure whatever your putting it on, that there is nothing around it to touch it because it will stick (I learned this the hard way!).
If your playing around, try to make just half the recipe because it will make a lot with just one batch.
Oh, and finally, I like using scissors to cut it. I tried tappits but found that it was too hard to get out without breaking it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%