Help With Seperaters Please!

Decorating By jessielou Updated 6 May 2010 , 6:00am by tmac670

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 10

I posted this a week or two ago but didnt get any replies....any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Im sorry if these are questions that have been asked and answered in other threads. I searched several times and wasnt able to find anthing.
I am doing a four tiered wedding cake this month and the bride wants seperaters between the tiers. Ive never done this before and the more I think about it the more nervous i get!!!
I plan to use styrofoam covered in fondant and edible giltter or disco dust as the seperaters.

Questions:
Do I use all the same size diameter? Or do i gradually get smaller along with the tiers?

How do I support it properly? With dowels under the styrofoam?

How do I put in a center support without driving it thru the foam and ending up with foam pieces in my cake? Or do i just stack it and leave it with no center support?

Im driving myself nuts worrying about this cake!! TIA Jessica

9 replies
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 10

I would think that the separators need to be whatever size your design calls for.

I wouldnt stack the cakes before I reached the reception site this way you dont need a dowel through the entire cake.

I would use some kind of food glue, such as royal icing to adhere the cake to the foam separator.

Put dowels (I prefer plastic wilton tubes) in each tier with cake, with the exception of the top one.

I've attached a couple of pictures of cake with separators to give you an idea of what others do.

hope this helps
LL
LL

jessielou Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #3 of 10

icon_eek.gif oh my !! That first cake is GORGEOUS!!!!!! Thankyou so much for the help. Thats what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure. icon_smile.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 10

Glad to help.

I agree. These are a couple of my favorites from the galleries.

jessielou Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 10

Do you know who made that first one? I would love to know how they made the black lacey pieces...so pretty!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 10

this is the only cake I've made so far with separators and I just used foam discs (from the floral section) and covered the edge with ribbon (you could do the fondant like you've planned)....I put an sps plate w/ 4 legs on it in the bottom cake, set the foam piece on top of the plate, then set the next cake on the foam, then put a plate w/ legs in that cake, set another separator on the plate, then the last cake on that foam separator. Easy Peasy!!

Don't stack until you get there and it's just simple stacking, you should already have your dowels and plates on each of your 3 cakes, ready to go and then just stack em' up!
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielou

Do you know who made that first one? I would love to know how they made the black lacey pieces...so pretty!

I'll betcha it's string work!! It IS fabulous!

jessielou Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks! Sounds easy...I dont know why im so nervous about it!

glendaleAZ Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:53am
post #9 of 10

No sorry. I think I found the picture under one of the cake shows/contest in the galleries.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:00am
post #10 of 10

It's lace extension work-- a kind of string work--

here's a tutorial...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%