True Black Mmf

Decorating By sweetjane3 Updated 6 May 2010 , 6:18pm by Cakeonista

sweetjane3 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 24

I'm planning on making true black mmf and was wondering how many batches I would have to make to cover one 6",one 8" and a 10" round cakes. Each 4" tall. I was also kind of wondering a silly question. With all the black coloring in it will it leave ones mouth black after eating it? Had to ask. I was also wondering if I can make it ahead of time and store it like regular mmf ?Thank you!

23 replies
sweetjane3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 24

any one???

cheatize Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:40am
post #3 of 24

Yes, it will turn mouths black.
Yes you can store it like regular MMF (I am assuming it's the same recipe but with black coloring. If it's a different recipe, then I don't know).
I don't know off the top of my head how much you will need but there are charts online. I'm sure if you do a search you will run across it.

ceshell Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #4 of 24

You will need an insane amount of black gel paste to get true black MMF and can I add another word of advice: you may want to consider reducing the liquid you add to your recipe, as the black gel will be adding in a LOT of liquid (and glucose too). You can give yourself a head start on the color, if you desire, by starting with chocolate fondant.

FWIW personally I've had poor results with chocolate fondant, including trying to get it jet black. I made a 45" record on a cake--such a small amount of fondant needed!--and ended up just painting the bugger with black paste, because I didn't like the tone of the black fondant.

The best option, if it is available to you, is to simply buy the darned stuff in black.

p.s. sorry I cannot help you as to quantities but I would consult the Wilton fondant chart and compare it to the yield on your recipe...i.e. if a recipe yields 4lbs, you will see how much cake that covers and can multiply from there.

andreamen1 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:46am
post #5 of 24

You would need about 3 batches

prue23 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 24

u would need about 3 batches but I agree with ceshell its way better just to buy it...I've been having a lot of trouble rolling it out and smoothing it on the cake, it gets very gooey because of all the coloring and it rips too..... and when i have made it I start out with chocolate fondant then add in the coloring...but good luck with whatever u decide to do

jones5cm Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 24

Actually, if you make the Rhonda's Chocolate recipe from here on CC, then you really won't need a lot of black gel to get a rich color because you're using semi-sweet chocolate chips in it. I just made a batch last week and it only took about 6 drops of Super Black in the melted marshmellows. Give it a try...

sweetjane3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 24

Thank you everyone. I'm still very confused. I was planning on making the True black MMF reciepe found here on CC it has semi sweet chocolate chips in it. I tried to look for Rhondas chocolate recipe but could not find it to compare the two. I wish I could just buy the stuff but can't find it here. I'm starting to freak out! I'll have to make a batch and see how it goes. Plus I don't want to make anyones mouth black at the party. I'll be there!

prue23 Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 24

i've read here also that u can knead more powdered sugar to get it to the right rolling consistency and other people even put it in the refrigerator for a bit...HTH

sweetjane3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 24

Thanks, I made a batch of the true black mmf recipe and was not impressed. I'm going to try Rhonda's ultimate chocolate mmf. I hope it tastes better. Does anyone know of any cake supply stores in the Chicago area? I'm going that way tomorrow. Maybe I could buy some black Satin Ice fondant. Does that taste bad?

casme Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #11 of 24

Instead of gel color I would use americolor black. It is so much richer. As someone else said, it will turn lips and mouths black when eaten. Does your client know that.

sheilabelle Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #12 of 24

When I made black, I used the powder black by CK. That way I didn't had all of the liquid. Also, if you make it in advance and let it rest, (about 2-3 days) the color deepens a lot.

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #13 of 24

Here's the link to Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate MMF: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3193/rhondas-ultimate-chocolate-mmf
I have also used Americolor black; I'm thinking that if you don't use a lot of coloring it shouldn't turn your lips black when eating it...but I would warn/inform the client just in case. (I usually do and no one has seemed to mind).

BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

Actually, if you make the Rhonda's Chocolate recipe from here on CC, then you really won't need a lot of black gel to get a rich color because you're using semi-sweet chocolate chips in it. I just made a batch last week and it only took about 6 drops of Super Black in the melted marshmellows. Give it a try...

Oh I am so happy to see this! I'm thinking about giving this recipe a try this weekend, but have been dreading it as I always heard black was a hard color to achieve. icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieH

Quote:

Oh I am so happy to see this! I'm thinking about giving this recipe a try this weekend, but have been dreading it as I always heard black was a hard color to achieve. icon_smile.gif

You heard right, black can be hard to achieve; but doesn't have to be any more. If you look at my pics, I did a 'scream' ghost in 2007; I remember kneading FOREVER to get it that color. Then if you look at the forklift I did about a month ago, I used Rhonda's recipe, spent a fraction of the time making it AND it was easier to work with! I will NEVER try to knead black color into fondant again! I live a rural area and can't just run to town for Satin Ice (which I have ordered online and I do like it); but making my own just makes more sense for me. HTH! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

mayo2222 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieH

Quote:

You heard right, black can be hard to achieve; but doesn't have to be any more. If you look at my pics, I did a 'scream' ghost in 2007; I remember kneading FOREVER to get it that color. Then if you look at the forklift I did about a month ago, I used Rhonda's recipe, spent a fraction of the time making it AND it was easier to work with! I will NEVER try to knead black color into fondant again! I live a rural area and can't just run to town for (which I have ordered online and I do like it); but making my own just makes more sense for me. HTH! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the tips! I might have to try and make a batch of black using Rhonda's recipe. I have a graduation cap cake to make at the end of the month and was going to just order Satin Ice, but since shipping costs almost as much as the fondant I would love to find a cheaper alternative. I only have Wilton's black gel for coloring so hopefully it will still work

mayo2222 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:

Are you using a different version of Rhonda's recipe? The one I looked at doesn't have any chocolate chips, at least not that I saw. I saw it called for dark cocoa and maybe thats what you meant to say, idk. Thanks!

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 24

I'm sorry! I forgot to mention that I use 6 ounces of semi-sweet chips in place of the dark cocoa. I don't use any cocoa powder at all. I think the melted chips in marshmellows give it a smoother texture and keeps it more moist to prevent drying out and cracking on you.

BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Quote:

Are you using a different version of Rhonda's recipe? The one I looked at doesn't have any chocolate chips, at least not that I saw. I saw it called for dark cocoa and maybe thats what you meant to say, idk. Thanks!

The one i was think of trying was this one...

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

which I thought was Rhonda's which I must have mixed up....LOL now even I am confused about which black fondant recipe I want to try. icon_razz.gif

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #20 of 24

If you'll look at my last post, I think that I am combining the 2 recipes. they are both very good ones and similar and I've made them both in the past. But the bottom line is that either one of the combination of the 2 is soooo much easier to make than kneading black coloring into the finished MMF AND soooo much cheaper than buying/ordering pre-made, IMHO, I think just as tasty and easy to work with.

BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks Jones5cm I printed out Rhondas Ultimate Chocolate MMF and made a note of the chocolate chips. Looking forward to trying this recipe. Took a peak at your cakes - they are awesome and the forklift is pretty neat!

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks for the kind comments BillieH & mayo2222!!

sweetjane3 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 24

I made Rhonda's chocolate MMF and I used dark cocoa. I'm very happy with the color and it doesn't taste too bad either. I like it much better then the true black recipe. Now I have to make only two more batches. Then try putting it on my cakes. Wish me luck! This Harley Davidson cake has put me in over my head. I just got done cutting out and painting the flames for it. That was a first for me too, but really fun to do! I like the practice and the experience. Thank you to everyone!

Cakeonista Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #24 of 24

For black, red and chocolate I just purchase Sarin Ice but next time I need black I'm going to give this recipe a try. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%