True Black Mmf

Decorating By sweetjane3 Updated 6 May 2010 , 6:18pm by Cakeonista

sweetjane3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane3 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 24

I'm planning on making true black mmf and was wondering how many batches I would have to make to cover one 6",one 8" and a 10" round cakes. Each 4" tall. I was also kind of wondering a silly question. With all the black coloring in it will it leave ones mouth black after eating it? Had to ask. I was also wondering if I can make it ahead of time and store it like regular mmf ?Thank you!

23 replies
sweetjane3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 24

any one???

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:40am
post #3 of 24

Yes, it will turn mouths black.
Yes you can store it like regular MMF (I am assuming it's the same recipe but with black coloring. If it's a different recipe, then I don't know).
I don't know off the top of my head how much you will need but there are charts online. I'm sure if you do a search you will run across it.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #4 of 24

You will need an insane amount of black gel paste to get true black MMF and can I add another word of advice: you may want to consider reducing the liquid you add to your recipe, as the black gel will be adding in a LOT of liquid (and glucose too). You can give yourself a head start on the color, if you desire, by starting with chocolate fondant.

FWIW personally I've had poor results with chocolate fondant, including trying to get it jet black. I made a 45" record on a cake--such a small amount of fondant needed!--and ended up just painting the bugger with black paste, because I didn't like the tone of the black fondant.

The best option, if it is available to you, is to simply buy the darned stuff in black.

p.s. sorry I cannot help you as to quantities but I would consult the Wilton fondant chart and compare it to the yield on your recipe...i.e. if a recipe yields 4lbs, you will see how much cake that covers and can multiply from there.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:46am
post #5 of 24

You would need about 3 batches

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 24

u would need about 3 batches but I agree with ceshell its way better just to buy it...I've been having a lot of trouble rolling it out and smoothing it on the cake, it gets very gooey because of all the coloring and it rips too..... and when i have made it I start out with chocolate fondant then add in the coloring...but good luck with whatever u decide to do

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 24

Actually, if you make the Rhonda's Chocolate recipe from here on CC, then you really won't need a lot of black gel to get a rich color because you're using semi-sweet chocolate chips in it. I just made a batch last week and it only took about 6 drops of Super Black in the melted marshmellows. Give it a try...

sweetjane3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 24

Thank you everyone. I'm still very confused. I was planning on making the True black MMF reciepe found here on CC it has semi sweet chocolate chips in it. I tried to look for Rhondas chocolate recipe but could not find it to compare the two. I wish I could just buy the stuff but can't find it here. I'm starting to freak out! I'll have to make a batch and see how it goes. Plus I don't want to make anyones mouth black at the party. I'll be there!

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 24

i've read here also that u can knead more powdered sugar to get it to the right rolling consistency and other people even put it in the refrigerator for a bit...HTH

sweetjane3 Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 24

Thanks, I made a batch of the true black mmf recipe and was not impressed. I'm going to try Rhonda's ultimate chocolate mmf. I hope it tastes better. Does anyone know of any cake supply stores in the Chicago area? I'm going that way tomorrow. Maybe I could buy some black Satin Ice fondant. Does that taste bad?

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #11 of 24

Instead of gel color I would use americolor black. It is so much richer. As someone else said, it will turn lips and mouths black when eaten. Does your client know that.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #12 of 24

When I made black, I used the powder black by CK. That way I didn't had all of the liquid. Also, if you make it in advance and let it rest, (about 2-3 days) the color deepens a lot.

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #13 of 24

Here's the link to Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate MMF: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3193/rhondas-ultimate-chocolate-mmf
I have also used Americolor black; I'm thinking that if you don't use a lot of coloring it shouldn't turn your lips black when eating it...but I would warn/inform the client just in case. (I usually do and no one has seemed to mind).

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

Actually, if you make the Rhonda's Chocolate recipe from here on CC, then you really won't need a lot of black gel to get a rich color because you're using semi-sweet chocolate chips in it. I just made a batch last week and it only took about 6 drops of Super Black in the melted marshmellows. Give it a try...

Oh I am so happy to see this! I'm thinking about giving this recipe a try this weekend, but have been dreading it as I always heard black was a hard color to achieve. icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieH

Quote:

Oh I am so happy to see this! I'm thinking about giving this recipe a try this weekend, but have been dreading it as I always heard black was a hard color to achieve. icon_smile.gif

You heard right, black can be hard to achieve; but doesn't have to be any more. If you look at my pics, I did a 'scream' ghost in 2007; I remember kneading FOREVER to get it that color. Then if you look at the forklift I did about a month ago, I used Rhonda's recipe, spent a fraction of the time making it AND it was easier to work with! I will NEVER try to knead black color into fondant again! I live a rural area and can't just run to town for Satin Ice (which I have ordered online and I do like it); but making my own just makes more sense for me. HTH! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieH

Quote:

You heard right, black can be hard to achieve; but doesn't have to be any more. If you look at my pics, I did a 'scream' ghost in 2007; I remember kneading FOREVER to get it that color. Then if you look at the forklift I did about a month ago, I used Rhonda's recipe, spent a fraction of the time making it AND it was easier to work with! I will NEVER try to knead black color into fondant again! I live a rural area and can't just run to town for (which I have ordered online and I do like it); but making my own just makes more sense for me. HTH! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the tips! I might have to try and make a batch of black using Rhonda's recipe. I have a graduation cap cake to make at the end of the month and was going to just order Satin Ice, but since shipping costs almost as much as the fondant I would love to find a cheaper alternative. I only have Wilton's black gel for coloring so hopefully it will still work

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:

Are you using a different version of Rhonda's recipe? The one I looked at doesn't have any chocolate chips, at least not that I saw. I saw it called for dark cocoa and maybe thats what you meant to say, idk. Thanks!

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 24

I'm sorry! I forgot to mention that I use 6 ounces of semi-sweet chips in place of the dark cocoa. I don't use any cocoa powder at all. I think the melted chips in marshmellows give it a smoother texture and keeps it more moist to prevent drying out and cracking on you.

BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Quote:

Are you using a different version of Rhonda's recipe? The one I looked at doesn't have any chocolate chips, at least not that I saw. I saw it called for dark cocoa and maybe thats what you meant to say, idk. Thanks!

The one i was think of trying was this one...

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

which I thought was Rhonda's which I must have mixed up....LOL now even I am confused about which black fondant recipe I want to try. icon_razz.gif

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #20 of 24

If you'll look at my last post, I think that I am combining the 2 recipes. they are both very good ones and similar and I've made them both in the past. But the bottom line is that either one of the combination of the 2 is soooo much easier to make than kneading black coloring into the finished MMF AND soooo much cheaper than buying/ordering pre-made, IMHO, I think just as tasty and easy to work with.

BillieH Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks Jones5cm I printed out Rhondas Ultimate Chocolate MMF and made a note of the chocolate chips. Looking forward to trying this recipe. Took a peak at your cakes - they are awesome and the forklift is pretty neat!

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks for the kind comments BillieH & mayo2222!!

sweetjane3 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 24

I made Rhonda's chocolate MMF and I used dark cocoa. I'm very happy with the color and it doesn't taste too bad either. I like it much better then the true black recipe. Now I have to make only two more batches. Then try putting it on my cakes. Wish me luck! This Harley Davidson cake has put me in over my head. I just got done cutting out and painting the flames for it. That was a first for me too, but really fun to do! I like the practice and the experience. Thank you to everyone!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #24 of 24

For black, red and chocolate I just purchase Sarin Ice but next time I need black I'm going to give this recipe a try. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%