Huge Sheet Cakes

Decorating By auntmandys Updated 7 May 2010 , 1:56pm by chocomama

auntmandys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmandys Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 11

I just got a call for 2 cake orders. They are for school banquets. One is the 12th the other is the 13th. The one needs to feed 110 the other 200? I have a 9x13, 11x15, and a 12x18 inch sheet cake pan. However, I have heard of "texas" sheets and huge sheetcakes. My question is what should I do to feed this many as a sheet? And what do I put it on. A cake board wouldn't be enough support. Thanks!

10 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 11

WOW, I think you would have to put 2 of the biggest pans together, the 12x18 to get them big enough, then for the board, i would invest in masinite you get it at home depots, or Lowes you have to ask for it , i think they will cut it for you as well.Sorry not much help

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 11

well a full sheet cake 16x24 will feed 96 people 2x2 pieces of cake, so 2 half sheets 12x18 put together will feed 108....... so make 6 for the 2 events and you should be good....uline carries cake boards for a full sheet cake..i'm making one tomorrow for a party on friday..hope this helps

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 11

umm . .. a full sheet is 18 by 24. (two half sheets, 12 X 18 put together.)

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 11

The two half sheets serving 108 is one order done. For the order of 200 I would make 4 half sheets but then put 2 sets of 2 together therefore making 2 separate cakes, 4 half sheets together is too large, you will need help carrying it and a a large vehicle to deliver it.

auntmandys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmandys Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone, what should I use to put the board on? To act as like a drum so there is something sturdy under it. The largest board I can get right now is a 17x 25 and when I put a 12x18 on it I have to put 3 boards (a smaller one in the middle) and it's still really flimsy. Any ideas? I know someone mentioned something from lowes? Do I put fancifoil on something like that? Is it reusable? I am lost. Sorry.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 11

I would use a 1/2" foam core board -- get one at Michael's, Joann's or Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupon. Then, yes, cover it with some sort of food-safe paper.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 11

A commercial Bun pan is 18" x 26" (outside measurement), and because they are tapered for nesting or making them stackable, the inside measurement is 16.5" x 24.5".

A commercial full sheet is 16" x 24". They are baked in 16" x 24" bakeable cardboard trays that fit into the Bun pans (flat surface portion) which are used during baking for support and handling purposes.

A true commercial full sheet (16" x 24") serves 96 (unit wt. 106-124 oz.).

If this size pan doesn't fit in your oven, and you are baking two 12" x 18" (54 serving) half sheets, they would serve 108 total.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #9 of 11

I would have lowes or home depot cut a piece of masonite or plywood to the size I need. You could cover it in foil or cut up and use a cheap (Dollar store) platic table cloth or fabric. Hot glue or staple to board, since the cake will be on a cake board (cardboard) this will be okay to use . Tell them you want the board back or figure the cost in when you charge for the cake. That is just my opinion/

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 11

You can purchase Full Sheet sized cake drums and boards online.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 11

My husband went to either Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which) and had them cut a piece of wood big enough to hold a full sheet cake for me. It's quite heavy so I usually need him to carry it for me, but it's very sturdy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%