Just A Couple Questions

Decorating By Abbiedal Updated 5 May 2010 , 2:34am by cheatize

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:14am
post #1 of 10

I used the search button and was trying to find where to buy "cheap" cake dummies? and I'm going to cover (hopefully) a 16in dummy so my next question is
1)Is MMF ok to use just to cover a cake dummy and being the wedding isn't until July how early can I do that and have stil have it ok for July
2) can you use styrofoam as cake sepperators or will the dowels penetrate them? (I plan on covering it with ribbon) unless someone could point me in the direction of cake spacers that are about an inch thick and I can wrap ribbon around
Thanks everyone !!!!

9 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:38am
post #2 of 10

Fondant on dummies will sit for months, there is a place out of Dallas that I ordered mine if someone doesn't come up with the name here I'll look it up. Pat Catans has small 4" 6" 8" 10" and 12" circles that are 1" thick. Outside of that I have to have everything else shipped to me. When you stack dummies no need to dowel them just stick them together with piping gel or royal icing . Have fun!!!!!!

Just found this http://www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake_dummies.html

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:59am
post #3 of 10

I have not made any dummies... yet. But here is the link to the Dallas company debster was talking about. Good Luck!

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 10

Make sure to store the dummy away from sunlight or fluorescent light as they can fade and alter colors. MMF will work just fine. Could also use stacked cake boards as spacers. Glue or tape them together and then cover.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 10

I think the OP was asking if they use styrofoam in between cake tiers to separate them, will dowels be needed.

They will because when cake is stacked, it's not the cake that's supporting the upper tiers, it's the dowels. Cake can't support more cake on top of itself, it needs those dowels for it to be secure and safe for transport.

debster Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 10

Oh goodness I thought she was talking about a totally styrofoam dummy cake. That's something I would like to know now. You need dowels for REAL cake but how would you do that using styrofoam seperators? Sorry I took that wrong.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 10

I doweled under the separators.

debster Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 10

That makes sense.

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 10

thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 10

Honestly, I wouldn't make them now if you need to match colors. It can be difficult to color match if you don't make all of the color you need at once. If not for that, I'd be all for making them now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%