Please Help With Colours For This Wedding Cake...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 4 May 2010 , 5:09pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all! I was hoping you could all help me with colours for this cake. This wonderful cake was made by Tutugirl. My friend who's getting married soon saw this pic and asked if I could make this cake for her. I hope Tutugirl doesn't mind. Anyway, she'd like it as three tiers instead and her colours are light pink, dark pink, fuschia and white. How would you guys decorate it and would you use two tiers as polka dots or two tiers as the bow ones. Also, I hope I have the right shade of fuschia. It's kind of like a dark pink-purple right. Maybe I can just skip the fuschia or just have only a little bit in case I don't have the right shade. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks!

10 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry, here's the pic.
LL

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 11

Just my opinion, but I like only having one tier of polka dots and the other two with ribbon. I like a more simple design with less distractions. As far as the colors, take a look at my photos. There is a pink cake with fuscia and silver flowers all around. I painted white flowers with wilton fuscia luster dust. So, I guess, it came out very dark pink. Hope that helps.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #4 of 11

I agree about having one tier only with polka dots, thanks. How should I use the colours though? Any ideas?

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #5 of 11

Maybe just do the ribbons in fuchsia and the rest as it is???

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 11

she doesn't want brown on the cake though.

Ocean23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ocean23 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:00am
post #7 of 11

how about the bows in fuchsia, The part that is brown on the cake change to white and then keep the light pink as light pink...and i agree with everyone else, only one with pooka dots

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:40am
post #8 of 11

How about change the browns to fuschia. All the light pink, stays light pink. But make the bows and ribbon white.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 11

I tried looking at just the top 3, and then just the bottom 3 tiers so I could visualize 2 polka dot tiers vs. 2 bow tiers. Personally, I prefer the 2 polka dot tiers, but maybe you should ask the bride which she prefers.

Also, regarding the colors, I wouldn't just guess at what she means by those color names. People tend to describe colors differently than one another. Have her give you samples for you to color match. Find out which colors she wants to see the most of, and draw up a sketch to make sure that that what she has in mind matches up to how it will really turn out.

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

Ah ok - no brown, well then, I think I like underthesun's suggestion... Can you play around in photoshop and see how it looks, let the bride see it a couple of ways and get her opinion?

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 11

I agree, I'm going to ask the bride which she'd prefer - two tiers of polka dots or two tiers of bows; I think either way will look good anyway! Also she's going to bring me a sample of the shade of fuschia to show me, thank Goodness, now I can stop guessing. The Americolour fuschia seems to be a shade of purple - it doesn't look like fuschia to me - so I added some pink and it looks better. I like your idea with the colours underthesun! The bride trusts me to do what I'd like with the colours (as long as I use her colours obviously) - and I like it that way because if I just ask her where she wants the colours she might not really consider contrast and other things like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%