D.hines Choc. Cake Mix -Please Help!

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:55am by christeena

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know if they changed the formula?

Lately, whenever I use the chocolate mix, my cake sinks and tears easily. I am making it exactly like the other flavors.

I do add things to them so it's not the exact recipe as the box, but I do add pudding and sour cream so the batter is actually like silk; very thick and luscious. I've had no problem with ANY of the other flavors. I've been loyal to Duncan Hines my whole baking life but I'm getting frustrated!

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 8

I always had a problem with DH chocolate cake sinking in the middle until I read on cc to add my sugar last. Since I started doing that...no sinking thumbs_up.gif

CakesbyCristina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCristina Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 8

I just had this problem this weekend. I made 3 seperate 2-layer cakes. I "forgot" two in the oven and they cooked about 7 minutes longer then expected. Those "forgotten" ones did not sink and get sticky in the middle like the others. Maybe a few more minutes will do the trick. I don't often use that box mix so I can't be 100% sure of course. HTH

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 8

i actually really like DH dark chocolate fudge cake. it's sturdy, never sinks on me. i don't think it tastes like dark chocolate or fudge ... just really chocolatey.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 8

When I do any extended version using DH I only use 1/2 cup sugar instead of the full cup. Solved all my sinking and sticky cake issues. Try it ans see what happens.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 8

I don't add sugar to my cake mixes so I'm not sure that's the problem why my chocolate cake mixes are falling. I do use the Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mixes. I have tried baking them longer to but while cooking, they will sink. I'm so grateful to all of you for your help!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

When I do any extended version using DH I only use 1/2 cup sugar instead of the full cup. Solved all my sinking and sticky cake issues. Try it ans see what happens.

Christeena, i bake with DH mix as well, What is this about adding sugar to the mix, Is this for all DH mixes? Just wanting to know some of mine do sink,

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #8 of 8

I use the WASC version of extending the DH mixes with extra flour sugar, sour cream, etc. It is in the recipe forums. With the chocolate mixes I sift together the mix with 2/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 tsp. baking POWDER and 3/4 tsp. white popcorn salt (found in the popcorn aisle). I add this dry mixture to 4 whole eggs, 1 cup sour cream, 2 TBS. oil, 1 and 1/3 cup cool brewed coffee and 2 tsp. vanilla.

I used to use 1 full cup sugar but had sinking cakes - cut back to 1/2 cup and no more sinking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%