Mixing 2 Frosting Recipes?

Baking By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 10 May 2010 , 8:57pm by Crabbabs

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 4

I've been making the Indydebi buttercream recipe for a while now, and we like it. Recently I tried the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe and we liked that much better because it is less sweet. (Sorry Debi!)

Anyway, I need to make 3 batches of frosting to take somewhere to frost a ton of cupcakes on site, so I decided to make Indydebi's recipe (it is super easy to make and travels well.) Anyway, I now have an entire batch left over (turns out I only needed two batches.)

I hate to throw this all away, but we just don't want to eat it because it is too sweet. I was wondering if I can take the left over Indydebi buttercream and mix it with part 2 of the Whipped Cream Buttercream to make it less sweet?
(granulated sugar, salt, Meringue powder, BOILING water)
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

If not, do you have any other ideas?

Thank you so much!

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 4

Don't have a clue about mixing icings, but ID's BC will freeze for months if stored in a ziplock storage container. Leave some headroom and place a piece of parchment paper or plastic on top before sealing and don't forget to label with the contents and date frozen. When you are ready to use it be sure to stir well.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! We didn't want to use it again as is. Just too sweet tasting after eating the other kind. I have been getting off eating a lot of sugary sweets lately as well, since I have pre-diabetes, so I think that is another reason it tasted super sweet to me.

Anyway, I had to make a cake for Sunday so I made the meringue portion of the one recipe and mixed it with the other and everyone loved it, perhaps even better than the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe.

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 4

I recently had buttercream issues becuase I couldn't find one that was just the right amount of sweet. I made the Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream (too much of a greasy mouthfeel for me), and an old traditional buttercream (too sweet) and ended up mixing the two out of desperation and it worked perfectly. It is my new favorite buttercream. I am guessing that it would work for you too. I say try it with a small amount first and see if it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%