Can I Freeze The Cake In The Pan?

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 3 May 2010 , 3:56am by mamawrobin

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 14" square cake for the bottom tier of a wedding cake. Instead of torting it, I decided to bake it in thin layers and freeze them. I can't stand working with very large cakes, I almost always break them. I almost never freeze cakes though since I'm not usually pressed for time. Anyway, I was wondering it I could just let this cake cool in the pan then freeze it right in the pan then pop it out of the pan more safely once it is solid? I've never attempted it before and I don't know if it would work so i thought I would check here first. Thanks in advance.
Kym

5 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 6

If you plan to do this, I suggest lining the bottom of the cake pan for each layer with parchment, to make sure it comes out in one piece.

Do you realize how long it will take you to bake a bunch of thin layers, cool the cake, freeze, then wash and bake the next, cool, freeze, rewash the pan, repeat repeat repeat? Unless of course you have 4 or 6 or however many cake pans that size.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 6

oh jeez, not for the whole cake! Just the bottom! The rest of it I am going to do regular!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 6

I always line my pans with parchment. One screw-up was enough. The extra 2 minutes to line with parchment is worth a stress-free cake.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymscakes

oh jeez, not for the whole cake! Just the bottom! The rest of it I am going to do regular!

You did say:

Quote:
Quote:

I am making a 14" square cake for the bottom tier of a wedding cake. Instead of torting it, I decided to bake it in thin layers and freeze them.

So...
If you plan to bake the bottom tier in thin layers instead of torting regular layers, that means you will be baking AT LEAST 4 thin layers, or perhaps more depending how many thin layers it takes to make the tier as tall as you need to match the rest of the cake tiers.

Think about it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

I always line my pans with parchment. One screw-up was enough. The extra 2 minutes to line with parchment is worth a stress-free cake.

I'm with you. Don't think I'll ever bake without lining again. thumbs_up.gif

Sugarfrosted, I get what you're saying. That is going to be time consuming even if it's only for the 14 inch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%