Sure Cuts Alot And Cricut

Decorating By maude Updated 2 May 2010 , 10:27am by maude

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #1 of 3

I purchased the SCAL software but can't figure out where to find patterns for the cakes and how do I get them to the SCAL program on my computer. Can anyone offer some guidance. TIA

2 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 3

I don't know of any "specific" websites with cake patterns to import. There are 2 ways to bring images into SCAL
1. Find an image you like from the web, or from a coloring book or the like first. If it's a paper image, then you scan it with a computer and save it. You need a bitmap file - if it's already .bmp - great. If not then you make it a .bmp file (using a program like Paint that is already on your computer). Then in SCAL you "import bitmap" and this converts your file into something SCAL can cut. The simpler the image, the better this works. You may have to modify or edit the image in Paint to get the best image possible for transfer. It just takes practice.
2. You can create your own images - either in Paint as .bmp or in a program like Inkscape as .svg, then import into SCAL and cut. If you use Inkscape (which is a FREE download) and save as .svg - the you "import SVG" into SCAL and cut.

Go to YouTube and search on SCAL - you will find many demos on how to do this. I have had better luck with method #1, but have made some simple cookie stencils with #2. Get a hold of LOTS of cheap paper and just practice cutting things first - I use old calendars because these are often 12x12 size, which fits perfectly on the mat, and lets you cut trials before you commit to cutting something on a stencil sheet. I'm going to try freezer paper for one-time use custom stencils for airbrushing cakes, but have real stencil sheets for multi use stencils like cookies.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 2 May 2010 , 10:27am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info Tigerhawk83.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%