How Do I Insert Floral Wire In Cake And Get It To Hold

Decorating By CakesByAdriana Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:43pm by CakesIMake

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 7

Hello

Need some advise, tips, help on how to insert floral wire in a cake and get it to hold. I have some stars on wires that I would like to use on my cake and I am thinking if i just insert the wire it will somehow not work. It is a fondant covered cake.

Thanks in advance

Adriana

6 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 7

You will probably hear a lot of people mention that you should not stick wires directly into cakes, there's a big thread about it here:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=632290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

You can insert posey picks, coffee straws, or drinking straws into the cake and then stick the wires into that. The straws will stop the wires from coming into contact with the cake, and will help hold the wires in place (the link also contains more detailed instructions on how to safely do this). hth icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 7

The same topic is being discussed in the Decorating Forum....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=678369&highlight=

HTH!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 7

I use the Wilton flower picks-I put some candy clay down into it and stick the wires in that. They don't move an inch.

HTH.

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Everyone. I used flower picks. I filled it with fondant. Let it dry a bit and them inserted the wires and then into cake. didn't move or spin and made it threw 1 1/2 hr drive.

Thanks again

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #6 of 7

Glad it turned out well for you! icon_smile.gif

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

I use the Wilton flower picks-I put some candy clay down into it and stick the wires in that. They don't move an inch.

HTH.

definitely gonna have to try this. thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%