Luster Dust Questions

Decorating By MommaBay Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm by minicuppie

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 6

(1) If I "paint" a pearl over red-red fondant, will it look red with pearl or will it hinder the color? The color is important.

(2) Any particular brush I should be using? to dust on the dust?

(3) Should I paint on the dust before i apply the fondant to the cake or can I do it while on the cake?

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 6

If you use a white pearlescent dust, sparingly applied with a soft brush, before you place on cake you should be ok. I would shake the loose dust off the ball before applying and be very careful not to touch the product with your "dusty" hands.

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 6

I am trying to achieve a look like this: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=91014

I have ribbons to attach to the sides as well as "polka dots".. will the fondant stick to fondant that is lustered?

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 6

I think that the cake in your picture has been sprayed rather than dusted, including the ribbon bow?Not sure what anyone else thinks

regards

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

I as well think that has been sprayed by a can of pearl luster dust.. they are about 10 bucks and you can order them from most any cake sites, they work well for large surfaces. When I am using luster dust with a brush, it tends to get splotchy over large surfaces, but maybe my technique..I am not sure..

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 6

I like the flat red color on the bow against the shiny "wrapping paper". Nice contrast and very professional looking, IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%