Thankfully The Majority Of My Customers Are Great Otherwise

Decorating By jo_ann Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:09am by jo_ann

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 14

my poor husband would probably leave me.

First 99.99% of my customers are the greatest but every now and then....

I had one girl (young woman) order a 1st birthday cake 2 weeks ago for this coming Monday. It's hello kitty and she was to get the topper and bring it and payment last Friday. No show, no call.

I talked to her on Monday and she was still looking and would be here Wed.

No call, no show.

Yesterday she shows up with this hello kitty purse (way too big) and a check. She said she couldn't find anything else. I told her go to walmart and they would sell her just the topper out of the bakery section.

Now it's clearly posted that I do not accept checks, explained that to her and she said okay. She would be back today with cash.

Not 2 minutes after leaving last night (7:30 pm) her boyfriend calls (who wrote the check) and said we are on a budget for this party and if we knew you didn't accept checks we would never had ordered the cake. icon_confused.gif
And he was pretty snotty about it.

Now that instills confidence in me, makes me wonder if you planned a stop payment on the check or would it bounce.

Oh and it was an out of state check, so even if I had broken policy and accepted it there was no way to cash it locally.

My reply: That's fine, come pick up the stuff your girlfriend brought.

They haven't shown up yet and when he called they couldn't have been a mile down the road. icon_confused.gif

Gotta love my great customers otherwise dh would have to commit me. LOL

13 replies
twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 14

They sound shady to me, hardly anyplaces now accepts checks well at least where I live. Small business definetly dont around my area.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 14

wow!!!! So all of this and they're not even getting a cake from you??????????

TOo bad you can't charge for "consulting" with them over this cake they're now not ordering!

Definitely seems fishy with the whole check thing!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 14

Next time you get an order, get at least half up front that day for the cake and ''ALL'' of whatever
items they purchased from you!!!

jo_ann Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you for listening to me vent. Most of my customers automatically put a downpayment down a cake when they order so I have not had a firm policy on that except for weddings (in my contract).

Last night dh had me write up a policy and print it out in very large print. He is picking up frames for them today.

It clearly states cash only and down payment required at the time of order and when final payments are now due.

I hate to do it but as dh said it will save me a lot of future headaches (and he won't have to listen to me rant either, lol).

And couples like this are actually a rarity for me, so I'm real lucky there.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 14

LOL, that's just stupid! Last time I checked it cost me the same to give someone a check as it does cash. Sounds like they were planning on giving you a rubber check icon_biggrin.gif I just turned one of them over to the D.A.

jo_ann Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 14

I thought so too Kelli.

I have never had a customer refuse to order because I don't accept checks.

That is why I think this is fishy.

If a customer shows up and realizes I don't accept checks they'll either run to the nearest atm and get the cash (or go to their bank).

He did not actually say they were cancelling, I think he wanted me to say okay I'll take the check.
I told him simply to come get the things she had brought, that I do not and will not accept a check. I think he was shocked, because if I was him and that upset I would have turned around and come and got my stuff.

Actually my dh was shocked I kept my cool and didn't go off on him, especially since he was so snotty about it. I actually have edited some of his language out, since it wasn't really proper for this forum. LOL

[/quote]

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

LOL, that's just stupid! Last time I checked it cost me the same to give someone a check as it does cash. Sounds like they were planning on giving you a rubber check icon_biggrin.gif I just turned one of them over to the D.A.

No kidding. If they couldn't produce cash how is it that the check is magically going to do that for them?

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:31am
post #9 of 14

I bet the reason they didn't come right back is because they were too busy having a huge fight in the car. Now she's probably too embarassed to show her face again after hearing what her boyfriend said to you.

As for being on a budget for the party, maybe their budget for cake was zero so giving you cash was out of the question icon_surprised.gif

jo_ann Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 14

She finally picked up her stuff this morning apologizing all over the place. Then about 2 hours later her aunt shows up ( who happens to be one of, if not my best customer) with a different topper for the cake.

I swear her jaw almost hit the floor when I told her the cake was canceled and why. She basically said the guy is a jerk and a control freak. He must not have liked it very much when I had the nerve to refuse his check. LOL.

Anyway she ordered the same cake for this Saturday for her daughters b'day. Isn't that going to be a shock for them when they see it at the aunts' party. LOL icon_razz.gif

mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 14

jo_ann, I'm confused. Did the aunt order the cake for the one year old or for HER daughter's birthday? Still funny that she ordered the same cake.

jo_ann Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 14

The aunt ordered it for her own daughters birthday who is turning 4 on Saturday.

The 1 yr old ended up with a Walmart cake.

The aunt was slightly miffed at the other couple.

mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 14

Ok now I understand icon_lol.gif I bet she is especially since she's a good customer of yours.

jo_ann Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #14 of 14

She is a great customer, and I think she ordered the same cake without thinking twice just so they could see what they missed out on. And to rub his nose in it, because she doesn't really like him very much. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%