Recipe That Ask For Milk

Baking By zirconiag Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm by JP

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 6

If a recipe ask for milk, do I use "whole" milk or can I just use any milk I have at home. Is 2% possible?

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:49am
post #2 of 6

You can use any milk, unless the recipe specifies a particular fat percentage. My husband and I don't drink milk, so I keep nonfat dry milk around and use that in baking (just add the dry powder in with the dry ingredients and use water in the amount of the milk).

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 6

I used the same recipe for two different batches of cupcakes at two different times. The first time I used half and half per the recipe, the second time I used 2% milk. We noticed no difference in taste, crumb, texture, moistness, etc. From now on I am using 2% milk because that and skim are the only two I have in the house.

I would really love to try goat's milk sometime. I have to find it first though. icon_wink.gif

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for the replies!!
Hrmmm....goat milk has a very strong smell though. My dad used to drink them

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconiag

Thank you for the replies!!
Hrmmm....goat milk has a very strong smell though. My dad used to drink them

Darn! I have never seen nor smelled nor tasted goat's milk. I heard it tasted sweeter and was better for you - somehow. icon_cool.gif But the smell is probably why it isn't readily available at my local grocer. We have a natural food store nearby. I'll have to check it there.

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

I often see goat's milk with the canned and dry milk in my local grocery stores. I only see it fresh at organic farm stands and specialty stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%