Option To Charging For Cakes?

Decorating By Ashli_Marie Updated 1 May 2010 , 2:06pm by wpowell4

Ashli_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashli_Marie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 9

In order for me to sell cakes in my county I have to use a commercial kitchen. I have yet to look into renting kitchens, not sure yet if it's gonna be possible since I'm still wet behind the ears. I really wanted to build up a client base first on top of a lot more practice before I went there.

I hate the thought of NO compensation so here is what I came up with: break down my ingredients to unit price so I'm not overcharging & collecting more than cost, charging only for delivery & giving the cake at no charge. I'm not charging for a product, just a service & we even out in supplies.

I know that this isn't ideal but if it would fly with the HD it would be better than nothing, at least until I build up clients. Does this sound like a stretch, am I pushing it here? Just a thought, I'm all about loopholes today!

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #2 of 9

Actually, the court TV show "Judge Marilyn" had a case exactly like this ...... someone trying to convince her they gave away something but the cash was just a gift.

She didn't buy that story, either.

Ashli_Marie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #3 of 9

Well, thought it was worth a try. I thought it was almost clever!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 9

You never know until you ask!! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #5 of 9

I guess you could make some free cakes to get your name out and start NOW taking orders for, say, January 2011 and then have a kitchen lined up to rent at that time as well.

You'd really have to do your homework though and make sure everything falls into place.

Your practice would be the donated cakes and getting your name out in prep for when you open your business.

Ashli_Marie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #6 of 9

My thought's exactly indydeby! I just have a lot of phone calls to make, that's for sure!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:40am
post #7 of 9

I don't know if it would fly with the health department..... but I like the way your mind works LOL... very clever! Could you see if you could find a church kitchen to rent a few days a week? Just a thought.

Ashli_Marie Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 9

I'm going to talk to my pastor's wife on Sunday. I haven't seen our kitchen at church but I know we have one.

wpowell4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wpowell4 Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 9

One thing that I did was give my kids a few cupcake to bring to school and give to there teachers and friends.... I also brought a practice cake to my son's job. I started this after I lost my job and all of my co workers we keep in touch. So,for everyone's birthday I made an 8'in cake for there gathering (as we all ways did for birthdays on the job) and I got a lot of friends and family of there's to order cakes. Word of mouth is the best advertisment!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%